Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #1 
vikingsnail

New betta has ich!

[*]Test Results for the Following:[*]Ammonia Level? 0[*]Nitrite Level? 0[*]Nitrate level? 10[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.5[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.5[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Nutrafin drops, except the ammonia test which was API drops[*]Water temperature? 28/82[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? About 7 gals, have cycled it over the past few weeks and the betta went in on tuesday.[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Interpet mini filter, runs 200lph but it's baffled

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Haven't yet as my betta has only just got here, but planned to to weekly of about 40%[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 small betta[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Amquel plus[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari betta bio gold, twice a day, 2 pellets a time soaked[*]Any new fish added to the tank? Just this little guy[*]Any medications added to the tank? Nope[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Looks like he has grains of salt sprinkled over his body and fins. At first I thought they were bubbles, but they're not disappearing.[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Nope

I'd reserved this little guy at the lfs last week, and kept popping in to check on him before buying him. All seemed well, so I bought him home on tuesday. Now, I have very little experience with bettas, but he looks pretty happy - swimming about, quite inquisitive, always coming up to look at me. He gets very excited at dinner time and gobbles up his food quickly.

Occasionally I've seen him swim quite quickly, almost wiggling. I don't know if this is a sign of irritation, or if that's just normal behaviour. He looks pretty happy, but I don't want this to get worse!

I will try my best to get a pic.. but I've only got a rubbish digital camera so getting a picture that you can actually see the spots in might be tricky! I've googled ich on bettas and it does look kinda like this:
http://web.mit.edu/t...c/betta_ich.jpg
But nowhere near as extreme as that!
I've turned up the heat 1 degree (from 27 to 28) and I've got some salt on hand if needed. But I have no idea whether this is ich or how to treat for it .. and meds in the UK are a bit tricky to get hold of..!

Any advice would be great! Thanks!
vikingsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If you treat in the cycled 7gal-I would do deep vacuum daily to manually remove any parasites that have fallen off for 3 days PAST the last day you could see the parasite on his body, however, I recommend that you QT to treat-you can use a 2 cup method with Bettas....use two small cups like the one they are sold in and transfer from one cup to the other every day using premixed treatment water-let the unused cup sit dry for the 24hr between the daily water changes.......you will still need to vacuum the substrate in the 7gal to rid it of any parasites while you have him in the temporary cup for treatment

Premixed treatment water-use a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add aquarium salt 2tsp/gal and tannin-either IAL or Oak leaf-let this steep for 30min and use this for the water changes in the 2 cup rotation for 3 days PAST the last day you could see any parasites on his body...this timeline can vary from 5-14 days....

If you have any live plants in the 7gal-depending on what species-they may not tolerate salt or high heat

You can float the small cup/lid in the 7gal to maintain the heat-attach to the side so it doesn't sink or get knocked around by the filter

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 09-22-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:44 AM   #3 
vikingsnail

Thanks! I'd rather treat the whole tank just to be sure any nasties that are in there get killed!

I've got salt on hand so I shall start using that. What purpose does the tannin have?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Tannins ease stress and toughen scales...
Old 09-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #5 
vikingsnail

Just to let you know, the salt/heat combination and lots of gravel vacs is working. Angus has no spots atall now, and is acting perfectly healthily. Will keep up the treatment for a couple of weeks to be sure all the ich has gone! Thanks for your help :)
Old 09-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Good to hear...but I wouldn't do the salt treatment for longer than 10 days...you really only need to do it for 3 day PAST the last day you could see the parasites on the fish....treatment can be really stressful on them and no need to do it longer than needed.....