Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #1 
Miyazawa

about changing water

Is there anyway to change water 100% using a gravel vacuum without taking out your betta for a 1 gallon tank? Will it be different if i have a 2.5 gallon tank?
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #2 
copperarabian

a 100% water change is when you remove all the water, and put in new water. so if you left your betta in the tank he won't have any water. you can leave you fish in for a 50% or even 70% water change if you add the new water carefully/slowly so you don't shock your fish. For really big water changes I put my bettas in the little cups from petco/petsmart. This also makes it easier to float them in the new water, a 1g container would be really inconvenient for me.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #3 
Miyazawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
a 100% water change is when you remove all the water, and put in new water. so if you left your betta in the tank he won't have any water. you can leave you fish in for a 50% or even 70% water change if you add the new water carefully/slowly so you don't shock your fish. For really big water changes I put my bettas in the little cups from petco/petsmart. This also makes it easier to float them in the new water, a 1g container would be really inconvenient for me.
im debating if i should upgrade to a 2.5 gallon tank, but it is more than double the size of the one i have now and it is kinda big for dorm room desk.....sigh and i have to buy more substrate and harder for cleaning since i live in a dorm....it's not really about the money, it more like harder for me to change water :S
Old 09-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #4 
ForbiddenSecrets

Changing water in a 2.5 is less maintenance if not by all that much. Also it doesn't take up all that much more space. The base of a 1 gallon and a 2.5 is pretty similar.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #5 
Miyazawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenSecrets View Post
Changing water in a 2.5 is less maintenance if not by all that much. Also it doesn't take up all that much more space. The base of a 1 gallon and a 2.5 is pretty similar.
well i will probably make multiple trips to the bathroom if i have a 2.5gallon....well but i really do want the extra space for my little fishie....
Old 09-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #6 
Princess Penny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyazawa View Post
im debating if i should upgrade to a 2.5 gallon tank, but it is more than double the size of the one i have now and it is kinda big for dorm room desk.....sigh and i have to buy more substrate and harder for cleaning since i live in a dorm....it's not really about the money, it more like harder for me to change water :S
If you are too lazy to perform routine water changes as necessary for the health of the fish, you should not have gotten a betta.
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #7 
Miyazawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Penny View Post
If you are too lazy to perform routine water changes as necessary for the health of the fish, you should not have gotten a betta.
wow...calm down....im not too lazy to do it, it will just be more work for me to do if i get a 2.5 gallon. I never said a word of not performing a routine water change so don't put words in my mouth. Even i'm super busy with school work and short on money but im still considering the possibility of getting a bigger tank for my little fella. I'm still providing the best i can do for my little baby so don't give me attitude...thanks
Old 09-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #8 
betta dude

you always have to take the betta fish out for an 100% water cange
betta dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #9 
copperarabian

That was kind of harsh, he never said anything about not doing proper water changes, just that it's a lot of work for him.

Personally I'd go with the 2.5g because you can cycle the tank. Also if you add live plants, especially stem plants, it will help eat up the bad stuff in the tank and you won't need as many water changes(once your aquarium is established). Also if you can try finding a place that sells cheap buckets, they help a ton during water changes.

I use a 5g bucket for all my water changes and it makes it so much faster..... except for my 48g aquarium >.> I still have to take a ton of trips to the bathroom to get that 50% water change finished, as well as the every two day 10% water change(cichlids are messy eaters).

Last edited by copperarabian; 09-22-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #10 
copperarabian

sorry for double post

Also a 2.5g isn't really that heavy, If I'm doing anything more then a 50% water change I carry it into the bathroom :D it makes a 100% water change way easier. I cup out my fish and leave it on my desk.