Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 02:40 AM   #1 
Aquarianblue

My first ever HM!

So I went into Petsmart today. I was -only- going to buy some algae wafers for my pleco. And get out of dodge as quick as I could. No looking at Bettas, No betta things, nothing. Pleco food and out. I was about to go into the store, certain I would stay steadfast. I went in, saw my usual friendly, and amazing employees there. Pretty much friends with all of them. Lol. Anyhow I grab he wafers, and turn around to the cash register. The bettas are RIGHT on the other end of this aisle. No matter, I was going to checkout, and that was final. Somehow, before I realize it. I'm looking at the bettas in there cups. Gawking. Then I seen what I thought was a dead HM. I grabbed the cup and gently shook it, and ended up scaring the be-geebus out of the guy. I felt aweful for the water he was in. All the other bettas had very decent cups, no dark blue junk. Feeling just terrible for the little HM, I immediatley promise him he's got a new home and everythings gonna be alright. (getting to his issue in a sec, I'm worried) I grab him a little 1.5 gallon for now home, and let my gf know I had to get him. So she agrees, and we talk with the fish lady for abit and the cashier when Mary (aka Flaretacious here) decides to take a look at the other bettas. I decide this was the best idea, make sure everyone else is ok. And she sees this beautiful CT. (he's in her thread, prolly right by mine) And I bring him home to.

But to the worry part. Gonna post this issue here in Emergencies to, if this sounds serious in your replys. When I get my little unamed HM home, it's all about setting his new home. And getting him out of his cup of doom he was in. Once everythings alright, he goes into fresh clean, warm water. He swims about happy as can be, then I realize something not too promising. it appears his mouth is abit deformed! Not terribly so, but it has me worried! Has anyone seen this? He won't eat either. I understand it can be moving stress/bad water into good water, bigger space, etc. He never showed any interest in the pellets. Maybe he's not hungry, but I'm worried about his mouth. anyone seen this before?
Aquarianblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:47 AM   #2 
Flaretacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarianblue View Post
So I went into Petsmart today. I was -only- going to buy some algae wafers for my pleco. And get out of dodge as quick as I could. No looking at Bettas, No betta things, nothing. Pleco food and out. I was about to go into the store, certain I would stay steadfast. I went in, saw my usual friendly, and amazing employees there. Pretty much friends with all of them. Lol. Anyhow I grab he wafers, and turn around to the cash register. The bettas are RIGHT on the other end of this aisle. No matter, I was going to checkout, and that was final. Somehow, before I realize it. I'm looking at the bettas in there cups. Gawking. Then I seen what I thought was a dead HM. I grabbed the cup and gently shook it, and ended up scaring the be-geebus out of the guy. I felt aweful for the water he was in. All the other bettas had very decent cups, no dark blue junk. Feeling just terrible for the little HM, I immediatley promise him he's got a new home and everythings gonna be alright. (getting to his issue in a sec, I'm worried) I grab him a little 1.5 gallon for now home, and let my gf know I had to get him. So she agrees, and we talk with the fish lady for abit and the cashier when Mary (aka Flaretacious here) decides to take a look at the other bettas. I decide this was the best idea, make sure everyone else is ok. And she sees this beautiful CT. (he's in her thread, prolly right by mine) And I bring him home to.

But to the worry part. Gonna post this issue here in Emergencies to, if this sounds serious in your replys. When I get my little unamed HM home, it's all about setting his new home. And getting him out of his cup of doom he was in. Once everythings alright, he goes into fresh clean, warm water. He swims about happy as can be, then I realize something not too promising. it appears his mouth is abit deformed! Not terribly so, but it has me worried! Has anyone seen this? He won't eat either. I understand it can be moving stress/bad water into good water, bigger space, etc. He never showed any interest in the pellets. Maybe he's not hungry, but I'm worried about his mouth. anyone seen this before?
There he is...
Attached Images

Flaretacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:02 AM   #3 
Aquarianblue

Lol. your the best. yeah, those are the pics. What's interesting is, he's not green. he's a light blue, with black and white fins. I guess he does have some teal when the lights on him! Chameleon fish ftw! Any ideas for names? I ADORE HMs, and he's my first.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:09 AM   #4 
MinibotLove

My Jazz has an awkwardly shaped mouth that never seems to close and remains forever 'puckered' . It hasn't given him any trouble eating so far but I try to make sure to draw his attention to his pellets.

I'd let the newbie skip a meal and try either at dinner or tomorrow morning to see if he just wasn't hungry/was too stressed out to eat.
MinibotLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:16 AM   #5 
Aquarianblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinibotLove View Post
My Jazz has an awkwardly shaped mouth that never seems to close and remains forever 'puckered' . It hasn't given him any trouble eating so far but I try to make sure to draw his attention to his pellets.

I'd let the newbie skip a meal and try either at dinner or tomorrow morning to see if he just wasn't hungry/was too stressed out to eat.
Thank you. I am hoping he eats tomorrow, just fine. But I will keep in mind to show him his pellet, and even crush em if I have to. but hearing about Jazz makes me feel relieved. A little...xD.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:25 AM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

He is beautiful! I love his colors.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #7 
MinibotLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarianblue View Post
Thank you. I am hoping he eats tomorrow, just fine. But I will keep in mind to show him his pellet, and even crush em if I have to. but hearing about Jazz makes me feel relieved. A little...xD.
If you're using the big pellets I'd definitely crush them. We use those teeny 1mm New Life Spectrum pellets (but that's really more because that's what the petstore told us to feed them with our first fish than any preference).
MinibotLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #8 
MMAsac
Banned

great fish love his colors!
MMAsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #9 
Flaretacious

He is very beautiful, I am very glad you got him
Flaretacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #10 
Aquarianblue

Thanks for the tips. He still won't eat today, gonna put him in the big tank, and try getting him to relax in that. I will also crush up his food, and see if he eats that way. I'm just worried to death over him. gonna do all I can, to see to it he lives a happy, comfortable life now that i got him. And thanks for the compliment on him, he is a very beautiful boy. He's also very shy. he hides in his plants all the time...hope he comes around.