Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #1 
Miyazawa

water posioning!!!! ARGH!

So yesterday i bought the zoomed hammock and the floating log. I was like yay! new toys for betta. So i did my weekly 100% WC, but this morning he wont eat and now he has clamped fin, so i checked for ick,velvet....etc. But he seems fine, and he was so active before the WC. So first i suspected the WC did something, but then i did put water conditioner. Second i was thinking about the mossball that i put, but i QT it and my baby doesn't show any signs of parasite or bacterial infection. I came to conclusion that the leaf hammock thing that i got has METAL in it....WTH???? so i immediately did a water change and hoping for the best. Does anyone have the floating log? Is it safe to put it in? I gave it a good rinse, but i kinda don't trust the zoomed company anymore. Cross my fingers and hope that he will detox soon

Last edited by dramaqueen; 09-29-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #2 
HatsuneMiku

yea the zoo med hammock is such a badly made product .. i have 2 logs .. they haven't done any harm to my bettas .. but their paint is known to come off when washing .. i had soaked mine in hot water for 1 hr before adding it to my betta tanks .. the paint doesn't come off in the tank .. it's weird .. it only comes off when it's rinsed or scrubbed .. a few other members have had the same experience

here's some reference threads .. maybe you can mod the hammock to be safer
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=63721
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=78730
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #3 
Miyazawa

he seems fine now, fins not clamped anymore, definitely swimming everywhere and just started eating.....im just SO MAD....like SERIOUSLY, it's not because of the money! What if i don't find out? ARGH
Old 09-29-2011, 06:28 PM   #4 
HatsuneMiku

yay =D .. i'm glad he's all better now ..

yea that hammock is really a bad product ... i just hope people get the message before it's too late !!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #5 
Myates

The metal in the hammock shouldn't of caused all that, that quickly. Usually it's after the metal starts to corrode that you will see signs of poisoning. It may of been the temp, maybe there was a small difference in degrees, enough for some sensitive fish to affect. Just glad to hear he is doing better.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #6 
Miyazawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
The metal in the hammock shouldn't of caused all that, that quickly. Usually it's after the metal starts to corrode that you will see signs of poisoning. It may of been the temp, maybe there was a small difference in degrees, enough for some sensitive fish to affect. Just glad to hear he is doing better.
The tip is corroded. Probably because I have a small tank. Because normally I float him on the tank first and I use my thermometer to make sure the temperature for both tanks are the same.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #7 
Silverfang

I haven't noticed the log having paint chipping or peeling. But it does collect film and debris. I use a toothbrush, just for this. And as a side note, if I tried to remove the log, I'd have six girls who would climb out of the tank at night and kill me in my sleep.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #8 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
I haven't noticed the log having paint chipping or peeling. But it does collect film and debris. I use a toothbrush, just for this. And as a side note, if I tried to remove the log, I'd have six girls who would climb out of the tank at night and kill me in my sleep.
LOL !! .. i just imagined ninja betta girls .. tail slapping you in ur sleep .. ahahha !!

yea my bettas love their logs too ... they get mad during w/c's when i have to take them away .. they just flip out

the paint chipping thing is also hit or miss .. some of them do it .. some of them don't .. it's really weird .. cus 3 out of my 5 .. have paint chip off when i'm toothbrush scrubbing them .. and 2 of them don't
Old 09-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

The paint on my log came off and I threw it out. I didn't have an issue with the hammock but since it killed another member's fish I thought I'd better take it out. The metal ripped open the fish's stomach.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #10 
tsoto80

I have not had a problem with my betta log or hamock yet. How long after the water change did you notice he was clamped? Maybe the water was cold....
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote