Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #1 
jdvyner

Transporting Bettas via car

I have two bettas and when I go back home over winter break which is a 6.5 hour journey what should I do to transport them safely. thanks
jdvyner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #2 
MMAsac
Banned

I'd bag them in water, (each gets own bag) then put oxygen in bag, then put them into a cooler you can fill with a blanket to keep them from moving around. and then make sure there trip is dark.
MMAsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

hmm... what you COULD do for that amount of time, instead of bags, is use buckets. Is it bumpy road? or a smoother highway? buckets will works, with holes poked through the top so they can get air. Then you can strap them in, and even wrap a blanket around them (stability). Bettas are easier to transport in my experience :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #4 
iloveengl

I traveled across country with my fish in a bunch of 5g buckets. I would bucket each betta separately. Fill the bucket 2/3 with clean water. Add prime to keep it detoxified during the trip. Poke holes in the lid with a nail or a screwdriver. A lid is necessary.

Keep the bettas inside the car with you so they stay warm. Keep their tank in the car, too, so it's easy to unpack their home and get them setup right away.

The 5g buckets with lids are available at walmart or hardware stores (like Menards or Lowes). Just be certain to rinse the buckets with a bit of water and bleach to cut any chemicals that may be in the buckets. Rinse well with water and dechlorinator.
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

bag them and put em in a cooler with some newspaper. if using a bucket don't add holes. there's enough air for a trip...though you can open the lid every hour to add fresh air if you want.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #6 
DragonFish

This may not be the very best way of going about it(at least, for my situation), but what I did when I moved my boys across the country(....and we're talking a 6-day trip here)was just put them in their cups. We were in a driving RV, so I tucked them away in a dark place surrounded by towels. It was a rather rough and long trip, but everyone made it alright.
If you're just in a car for 6 and a half hours(which...at least to me...doesn't seem all too long), why not put them in their cups and put the cups in your cup-holders(If you didn't keep their cups, you can always go to your LFS and ask if they have any spare cups you could have)? Stick the tanks in the back of the car, and just set them up as soon as you get there.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:35 PM   #7 
Irishdancer

When I have to take mine to or from college (3 hour trip) , I put them in plastic zip-lock bags and then put those in a carboard box with towels to keep the bags from getting bumped around.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:41 AM   #8 
Kytkattin

Mine go back in their cups. I figure they got transported to the store in those cups (or worse, bags, same as they are shipped from Thailand!). At least with the cups I don't have to worry about them running out of oxygen.
When I moved my tank, I had the water almost entirely drained out (just enough to cover the moss on the bottom, so about 2 inches, and then I put their cups in the tank and kind of buried the bottom half of the cups in the substrate so they wouldn't move.

I wish I could say they both did fine with this, but one of them had been sick for a while and died the day after the move. However, my much older fish did just fine with the move, and the one that did die had been close to death for about a week before the move. Obviously the move didn't help, but I think he would have died either way. Basically, I don't have any second thoughts about doing it again with my 2 current fish.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #9 
Ajones108

What ever you do, don't leave them in the tank with a few inches of water. I stressed out an angelfish this way and lost him. I bag my angelfish from now on with a bag my pet store gave me.

When I transport my bettas it's normally only an hour away from here. I bought a set of medium-sized tupperware bowls for them. One betta per bowl, about half the bowl of water. I then take these bowls and place them in an empty tank that still has gravel in the bottom and bury the bottom of the bowls in the gravel so that the bowls don't move. Then I wrap a towel around them to keep it dark, and they travel in the back of my car. :)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #10 
jdvyner

Wow these are all wonderful suggestions. Thank you so much
jdvyner is offline   Reply With Quote