Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 11:36 PM   #11 
Banicks

I believe that is quite high, as bahamut said, seachem prime may be your best option to convert the ammonia to ammonium in the tap water before adding to your tank.

I reckon that you might have BB (beneficial bacteria built up) and in addition to the plants, they are both taking it from .75 down to .25 - but it is still relatively high. Do you have any Nitrite or Nitrate levels by chance in the main tank?

Do you have a filter running?
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:52 PM   #12 
Betta311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banicks View Post
I believe that is quite high, as bahamut said, seachem prime may be your best option to convert the ammonia to ammonium in the tap water before adding to your tank.

I reckon that you might have BB (beneficial bacteria built up) and in addition to the plants, they are both taking it from .75 down to .25 - but it is still relatively high. Do you have any Nitrite or Nitrate levels by chance in the main tank?

Do you have a filter running?
I have a baffled filter, in my 10 and 2.5 I need to get a full test kit,the one I have is only amonia.
Betta311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #13 
Myates

You definitely need to use water conditioner each time you do water change. Make sure it's the full dose of it regardless how much water you take out. It is also hard to over dose it, so if you are doing frequent changes and still testing high, then you can double the dose. (Only way you can really over dose is by using enough for a hundred gallons in something such as 10 gallons.)
You may want to check your test strips, they can be notoriously wrong. 0 - .25 is safe and normally just fine. But I would buy a different brand/type of test and double check yourself.
You should only have to be doing 1 50% and 1 100% water change a week in an unfiltered 1-3 gallons. Any more water changes they start losing benefits and their immune systems don't get a chance to build a protection against many things.
Good luck and best wishes.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #14 
Betta311

I use a liquid test kit,i use water conditioner every time but ill try and use more.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #15 
Myates

Okay. Try using a dose and a half to see if that helps keep it down. Unsure what in that tank is making it higher. Are there any other occupants in the smaller tanks? Or are they alone?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #16 
Betta311

They are alone with a strand of anach,they shouldnt be in their much longer than this weekend I just gotta figure out how to filter my divided 55.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #17 
Sena Hansler

Well, you sound like you are doing very well in trying to keep it down :) I know .25 is not what it should be, and you want it at 0, but as long as you keep an eye on the levels (and yes, like another person suggested you can use spring water to dillute... just not used for the entire vase/bowl as it (IME) isn't as good as tap water conditioned) And that would be a nice tank to see :p

How about getting the plastic crosstitch panels? You can attach them with fish line or something... Then use something sturdy along the sides to keep it from wobbling. Although some rocks may be needed to keep it in place, unless you want to glue it in. Or you can go and get acrylic, and get it sized and cut :) just remember for acrylic to drill some holes for circulation :p
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #18 
Betta311

Its a 55 and I built a custom stand out of pine and oak,it is getting a custom hood for it out of wood and plexi I think im going to split it ten ways maybe more like 8..heavily planted with shrimp :)
Old 09-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #19 
Sena Hansler

Now that is a good idea :) and you must share pictures when you have it finished :p
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #20 
Betta311

Oh I will,just waiting on how to filter it lol