Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #1 
MinibotLove

Unhappy Skywarp, what's wrong?

My new girl in QT has turned very lethargic. I couldn't get her to eat today, not that I saw anyway. She might have nibbled off the bottom but I doubt it.

She doesn't have any physical signs of ailment - no finrot or ich or anything that I can see. Her colors have darkened since I added the epsom salt but she's just been laying on the bottom of the 1gal bowl I have her in. She's up to 2 tsp/gal of epsom because she wasn't responding to 1tsp.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gal
What temperature is your tank? 74-75 approx
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum Betta Formula 1mm semi-floating pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily, fasting 1 day a week

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Daily on QT, changed her water just a couple hours ago, actually.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime water conditioner, and also a dab of Stress Coat

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Her colors will fade in and out
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She lays at the bottom of the bowl, rarely moves except to get air
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning before her water change
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Originally stress coat and AQ salt, when her behavior changed I dumped the AQ and now we're doing 2tsp Epsom/gal of conditioned water.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? n/a
How old is your fish (approximately)? n/a

Maybe I'm just panicking over nothing but after losing Dirge I'm a little gunshy =/

Last edited by MinibotLove; 09-22-2011 at 09:59 PM.
MinibotLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Are there any places to hide in qt for her? she might be feeling a little stressed?

No sudden breaks in her color? Like from the dark to a sudden patch of just light color (not stress stripes or breeding bars)?

Maybe try soaking some food in garlic juice to see if she'll eat that. Or you could try a tastier treat of a bloodworm to see if she'll try it.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #3 
MinibotLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
Are there any places to hide in qt for her? she might be feeling a little stressed?

No sudden breaks in her color? Like from the dark to a sudden patch of just light color (not stress stripes or breeding bars)?

Maybe try soaking some food in garlic juice to see if she'll eat that. Or you could try a tastier treat of a bloodworm to see if she'll try it.

She's got her little house but no plants. She doesn't stay in her house though, just lays outside around it. It's just a terra cotta pot turned up and a 'door' cut into it. She was staying in it earlier and just peeking her head out before her water change but now she just lays on the bottom.

.....though she is sitting on a glass coffee table. o//o; Maybe I should put a towel under her so she doesn't feel like she's hanging midair......

And it's not really that she's getting bars or stripes, it's like her color will be very vibrant and visible, and then she'll turn very pale and almost colorless.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

That might help and try draping a towel or a blanket around her tank to keep it darker for her too. She may just be stressing a little bit.

Other than the fading color and lethargy, everything with her has been fine, correct? No strange poops at all or fuzzes growing on her?
Old 09-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #5 
MinibotLove

Not that I've seen. Her fins have been clamped tight since last night though, but no fuzz or strange poop. The other little one seems to be getting along quite swimmingly (ba dum ching..) They were pretty interested in each other at first but then Skywarp started moping and feeling down. I added a cupful of diluted epsom water to the other little one's tank as a just-in-case since she's QT as well and she seems to have perked right up.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

How long have they been in qt? they might be stressing from being somewhere new.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #7 
MinibotLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
How long have they been in qt? they might be stressing from being somewhere new.
Sky's on day 3, the other's on day 2. I might be panicking a little prematurely but this is the same as how Dirge acted and I kept writing it off as being shy around the other girls and then she died =/
Old 09-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

I understand. I just had a girl die after just breathing a little heavy for a few days. No other symptoms, just was dead when I check on her.

Maybe try doing her water changes every other day or 2 50% just to give her a little break in between? she could be high strung.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:19 PM   #9 
MinibotLove

Will do. She's the same girl that had breeding bars when I brought her home and her stress lines were very clear when I cupped her for her water change. I'll let her sit tomorrow and see if she's feeling better after having some time to herself. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #10 
MinibotLove

Her colors are more vivid this morning and she's a little more active, but her fins are still clamped up. She tried to eat the pellets and spit them right back out and ignored them. I tried freeze-dried bloodworms and she nibbled and ignored them too. I'm soaking some pellets in garlic juice atm but how long should I let them soak?