Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #1 
SwayLocks

Exclamation constipation

my betta fish hasnt pooped in a almost a week.

this first happened because he got bloated due to over feeding. and than i stopped feeding him and the swelling went down a bit but he has pooped since. i feed him just one pellet after like 3 days and i noticed that it would make his tummy bigger. and i know it shouldnt get that big just from one pellet because i fasted him for 3 days. im currently doing the epsom salt treatment to help him digest but i dont think its doing too much. i also noticed a thin red coloring thats happening near his bottom. please someone let me know whats wrong with him :(. im going to feed him frozen brine or daphnia in a couple days after fasting him some more..

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:dont know yet.
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:7.5
Hardness:1000
Alkalinity: 180

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he always has a full stomach (buldging but not extremly bloated) like it just ate
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? nothing serious but i think he looks a little less active and fluid in his motions
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3-4 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yeah this guy has seems like it
How old is your fish (approximately)? 5 months
SwayLocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #2 
Fieldz

Do the pea method. Only thing left you can do. You must feed him a VERY SMALL piece of pea so he just poops everything. It works but is not recommended because bettas cant digest them well.

Good luck with your friend!

Last edited by Fieldz; 09-22-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

Pea method is for goldfish. Bettas are carnivores and cannot digest diect plant material.

Don't add anything else to his system if he isn't letting anything out yet.

How long has he been on the epsom salt and what is the dosage. It should be at 1-2 tsp/gal full time until he poops. The baths really don't seem to help at all.

You could also change his water less to keep his environment less stressful. 1 50% and 1 100% a week should suffice unless he is on a medication.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:06 AM   #4 
SwayLocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
Pea method is for goldfish. Bettas are carnivores and cannot digest diect plant material.

Don't add anything else to his system if he isn't letting anything out yet.

How long has he been on the epsom salt and what is the dosage. It should be at 1-2 tsp/gal full time until he poops. The baths really don't seem to help at all.

You could also change his water less to keep his environment less stressful. 1 50% and 1 100% a week should suffice unless he is on a medication.
i was doing the espom salt 2 tsp per gallon that why i was doing 100% everyday. he did poop i remember until he got bloated so i think he just needs some time to get this out of his system. and YES i know not to feed peas i tried that one time and he vomited it 15 minutes later so never again. im going to keep doing the epsom salts water changes and than i ll try feeding him some frozen daphnia in about a week if he still doesnt poop.

Last edited by SwayLocks; 09-23-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #5 
SwayLocks

his body looks pale and the red line on the bottom is much more distinct now.. im starting to get worried.. should i be doing the epsom salt changes everyday or no??

please help

Last edited by SwayLocks; 09-23-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:40 AM   #6 
SwayLocks

you can kinda see the redding in the pic but

this picture doesnt do any justice of how bad it is really looks. the red is looks like its almost internal bleeding.. his stomach is white which is supposed to be black. and this is from one pellet yesterday after a two-three day fast.. and hes still bloated belly. someone help please

Last edited by SwayLocks; 09-23-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #7 
Myates

2 tsp Epsom per gallon, 100% water changes for 10 days. Fast him for 2-3 days. That should of worked.

Definitely doing too many water changes in a normal week. For that size w/o filter, Pata is correct in doing 1 50% and 1 100% weekly changes.

Also, how many pellets are you feeding at a time on a normal basis? 2-3 per meal is safe, 2 meals a day. So 4-6 per day, 2 feedings, or better yet, if you can do the same amount of pellets (4-6) and spread it to 3 times a day that will help so his digestion system doesn't get flooded. One day a week fasting is also recommended.

The red could be him changing his colors, either due to stress or just naturally. Bettas can and do change, and sometimes drastically. In the pic he doesn't look overly bloated, but could be the angle.

Have you considered internal parasites or bacterial infection (which *may* cause red patches)?

Last edited by Myates; 09-23-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:25 AM   #8 
SwayLocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
2 tsp Epsom per gallon, 100% water changes for 10 days. Fast him for 2-3 days. That should of worked.

Definitely doing too many water changes in a normal week. For that size w/o filter, Pata is correct in doing 1 50% and 1 100% weekly changes.

Also, how many pellets are you feeding at a time on a normal basis? 2-3 per meal is safe, 2 meals a day. So 4-6 per day, 2 feedings, or better yet, if you can do the same amount of pellets (4-6) and spread it to 3 times a day that will help so his digestion system doesn't get flooded. One day a week fasting is also recommended.

The red could be him changing his colors, either due to stress or just naturally. Bettas can and do change, and sometimes drastically. In the pic he doesn't look overly bloated, but could be the angle.

Have you considered internal parasites or bacterial infection (which *may* cause red patches)?
okay but he still isnt pooping. why feed him if its only going to make him more constipated..
Old 09-24-2011, 12:28 AM   #9 
SwayLocks

UPDATE, so i tried feeding him one pellet (this is after almost a week of fasting AGAIN). he gobbled it down instantaneously but it made his stomach really unusually big just for one little pellet and a whole week of fasting. his tummy got white after feeding him i dont know what wrong.. im scared he might have parasites or something. he seems to be fine though. what can i do to get this guy to poop? should i stop feeding him or continue?

Last edited by SwayLocks; 09-24-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #10 
Silverfang

Some people have gotten them to poo by letting them flare at a mirror. Might want to show him a mirror for a few minutes and see if that helps. Wouldn't suggest you try that for more than 5 minutes, don't want to over stress him.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote