Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #1 
tsukiowns

Question i need reassurance on my stocking....

i have just stocked my aquarium with some plants... some may be removed because i was tricked by the petstore that they were fully aquatic... my betta fish Tsuki(moon in japanesse) is very happy so far with the new plants.. i got the ten g tank because i wanted more fishes but i've been having troble with stoking my tank properly.. so far i have 2 choices which are the following
choice 1 or choice2
-1 male hm betta -1 male hm betta
-6 neon tetras - 3 neon tetras
- small snail/ some cories/ shrimp -3 zebra danios
- snail/ shrimp
plz help me out i was at another forum butit was for general aquariums and could not help me in my "betta friends" decision.

p.s the tank has live plants, an adjustable filter 15g power filter, and heater

here is a pic

Last edited by tsukiowns; 09-22-2011 at 08:31 PM.
tsukiowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #2 
Micho

Yay for real plants which is a good thing, plants suck up some ammonia and convert it into something harmless for fish. First I have to ask if your tank is cycled or not? You should do a silent cycle since you have plants in them. Cycling will help you build up good bacteria that help with ammonia also.

I'm also planning to stock my 10 gallon tank the same you are after it's cycled, my plan contains: 1 Betta, 6 Neon Tetras, 4 Cories, and a snail. With my setup I'm a tad overstocking but I plan to buy a 20g filter that has an adjustable flow to help. . . Seeing how you have a 15g filter it might just work.

Also shrimps usually get eaten, but not always depends on your Betta. They're great cleaners but Bettas usually make a snack out of them, you can add them if you like but you'll have to watch to see if your Betta will nom on them or not.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #3 
tsukiowns

yeah he is a growing boy so he might eat them.. i used a water treatment that placed essential bacteria in the aquarium it took three days of treatment and i had some every time i do a water change he is stable and the tank has cycled for some time now every thing is at 0 so i will plan to add in 2 weeks or so.. but im not sure how many of each i should add
Old 09-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #4 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukiowns View Post
yeah he is a growing boy so he might eat them.. i used a water treatment that placed essential bacteria in the aquarium it took three days of treatment and i had some every time i do a water change he is stable and the tank has cycled for some time now every thing is at 0 so i will plan to add in 2 weeks or so.. but im not sure how many of each i should add
Bottled chemicals that say they cycle are false actually, they don't actually cycle your tank. A fully established cycled tank would have zero ammonia, 5-10ppm of nitrate and your nitrite should spike. . . Having zero everything does not mean your tank is cycled. . .

If you wanna learn how to really cycle your tank you should check out this thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #5 
iloveengl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Bottled chemicals that say they cycle are false actually, they don't actually cycle your tank.
Yes and no. Most products contain the wrong kind of bacteria and create false and unstable cycles; with these products, the bacteria has to be added regularly because it dies off.

Tetra SafeStart has the correct anaerobic bacteria needed for a true cycle. Add the product once, wait 7-10 days, and you're cycled. Never add the product again.

As far as the stock lists go, neither the neons, nor the danios should be kept in schools of less than 6. If you're going to have one of those fish, complete the school, rather than have both neons and danios.
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #6 
tsukiowns

mine is the nutra fin cycle its new but it seem to work my tank has been cycled for 2 weeks and the levels are sustained with no more treatment apart form the first three days and three dosses... ohh ok i thiught by having 3 of each they would school together as a group of nean/danios...or should i just devide the tank in 3 and get 2 bettas... i think that would be cool but it may limit my the space in the tank
Old 09-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #7 
BettaMiah

Really sorry to say, no cories or neons. The Corys need 10 gallons each because they are actually really active. But you COULD get 4 Dwarf Corys. Just not the big normal ones.

Neons need a school of 6 minimum, and need 15 gallons. They are VERY, VERY active and need excellent water quality, which is harder to get in a 10 gallon.

You could get some ghost shrimp, 2 african dwarf frogs, and 4 dwarf cory catfish.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #8 
tsukiowns

eww no frog.. but i my wnat to split the tank in 3 and get 2 more bettas intead what do you guys think intead of the community
Old 09-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #9 
Pitluvs

No on the Danios, they need 6+ in a tank and at least a 20g long for swimming. They are active fish that love space (horizontal not vertical) and get nasty when not in larger groups. I have three in my 29g and they claimed the top of the tank, they chase any fish that tries to eat. I have bought more danios but my three kill them of every time. They were the first fish I got so I am quite attached to them. Horrible little fish, but great for cycling a tank.

I like the idea of three bettas in a divided. Just make sure you have a spare tank in case one doesn't do so well with another male beside him.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #10 
iloveengl

Dividing it into three parts would work well. I think that's a better idea than trying to do a community in only a 10g size tank.
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote