Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #11 
Franklinstein

Could it be this?

True Fungal Infections
•Symptoms: White cottony like patches on its body or head, Lethargic, Not eating, Clamped Fins, Pale Colors
•Treatment: Conservative: Lower temperature below 76* F and treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Never continue salt treatments for more than 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective after 10 days or you see the fungus spread rapidly during the course of conservative treatment, move to medication. Add “Fungus Eliminator” by Jungle, API Erythromycin, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn II. Change water every day and add a new dose of the same medication. Continue until all fungus has disappeared.
Franklinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:01 AM   #12 
Pataflafla

If it's something external, try treating your betta with warmer water (78 should be good) and 1-2 tsp/gal of aquarium salt. Slowly work up to 3 tsp/gal if you believe it is a fungal. If you don't see any improvement within a few days of aquarium salt, try switching to a medication recommended for fungal issues. Just keep in mind that both treatments will wear your fish out and take away energy, so it's important to feed a good diet.

Try to switch to pellets since they cause less problems with bloating and are generally easier to feed than flakes. It's easier to tell how much your betta is getting with pellets than it is with flakes. to tempt your betta into eating, you can try soaking it's food in garlic juice. This will also help boost the immune system.

Not to change the subject, but your betta looks to be a male with how long the ventral fins are and general body shape as well as how long the other fins are. I know there are some females with really long fins out there, but something about yours makes me think male.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:21 AM   #13 
bettafish15

Whatever you do, don't use bettafix/melafix. It damages the bettas labryinth organ, which can in some cases cause death. :/
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:30 AM   #14 
ilovemybetta39

good i wont use bettafix, i used that one time and it killed my fish i think. i dont think its a fungal infection, i could be... but its not patchy. its just a smooth coat all over.

The cup said female when i bought her... maybe they lied :0

oh, and if i do the aquarium salt treatment, is there any way that if its not a fungal infection that it will harm her even more?
I'll try the garlic/pellets
ilovemybetta39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:31 AM   #15 
bettafish15

It will not harm her/him more if it isnt a fungal infection, not to worry. :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #16 
ilovemybetta39

Okay thanks! I'll go pick up aquarium salt first thing in the morning.

Does anyone have any idea though of anything specific of what this is?
I've tried to research so much, but it doesn't fit the description of anything I've read. I just want to know more!
Old 09-24-2011, 01:07 AM   #17 
Pataflafla

How often are you changing the water? If your tank is 1 gal, I recommend 1 50% and 1 100% weekly or for cleaner water 2 50% and 1 100% weekly.

Ammonia can build up very easily in smaller tanks and hurt a betta quickly. High ammonia would cause pale color, clamped fins, and a thick slime coat, which this might be if you aren't changing the water enough.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:20 AM   #18 
ilovemybetta39

Would it cause her not to eat also? She hasn't eaten in about a week. I've changed her water completely every week. But when she started to not eat her food, the water began to get really dirty. So i've not let food sit any more, and Ive since then also bought a filter to keep the water clean. Also the tank is a little under 2 gallons, but its still small and easy to change obviously.

& when i get the aquarium salt tomorrow, do I run the filter with that or not run the filter when I have the salt?
Old 09-24-2011, 01:21 AM   #19 
Pataflafla

If she is getting burns from ammonia, she probably won't want to eat at all since she' uncomfortable. but you're doing ok with water changes. Just do another 50% weekly to your schedule and you'll be on top of it.

You can leave the filter running with aquarium salt. It won't hurt at all.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:24 AM   #20 
ilovemybetta39

Okay, I'll try that and see how it goes.

Tags
diseases