Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #11 
Sakura8

Wow, I'm definitely puzzled about your guy then. Not the cories, not the driftwood, doesn't sound like the filter either. I'm going to guess you're right, that your two-year old may have somehow spooked him. Hopefully Blue will calm down.

You can use just Stress Coat as both water conditioner and fin healant or you can use Prime as your conditioner and just use Stress Coat for the fins. It's really up to you but using both IS kinda like using two water conditioners.

Definitely keep us posted on how he's doing.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #12 
BabyBoyBlue

I tried to interrogate my 2 year old...

-- Beginning of Interrogation --

Me: Did you touch the fishy?
2 YO: FISHY !!!
Me: Did you touch the fishy?
2 YO: YELLO FISHY !!!
Me: Not yellow... blue fishy. Did you touch the blue fishy?
2 YO: WANT JUICE !!!
Me: *sigh* Love you... here's your juice.

-- End of Interrogation --

Everything does point to my 2 year old though, especially with Blue avoiding the front half of the tank where my 2 year old USED to be able to get to.

Thanks for all the help! I'll keep this thread updated.
BabyBoyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:02 AM   #13 
Sakura8

I definitely laughed at your "interrogation." Kids. :) I'll keep my fingers crossed and say a fishy prayer for Blue and his fins.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #14 
BabyBoyBlue

Angry

Blue Betta seems to be doing better, he is active and swimming everywhere including the front portion of the tank. Not afraid when I open the lid and waits for his food ... unfortunately, not my Pandas.

Friday Night - Weekly water change. But, instead of using Prime like usual, I changed to Stress Coat double dosage.

Saturday Morning - One Panda is dead. I test the water, Ammonia and Nitrite are both 0. I recently moved the tanks to a higher location (to keep away from my 2 year old), this water change was a little rough when I was adding water to the tank. So I assumed that since the water test seems fine, that the death was from my mishandling during the water change, causing the smallest panda to die. This panda was the one that had the tail fin nipped off for a week.

Wife feels bad, so buys another Panda from the same LFS. 1 hour for the bag in the tank. Remove the new Panda with a net and add to the tank without getting any of the LFS water in the tank.

Sunday Morning - The next smallest Panda is dead. Same tail fin nip that is new for this Panda. I test the water again, and the ammonia and nitrite is both 0. I'm guessing that it could either be from the new Panda or maybe because I used Stress Coat instead of Prime, so I add 0.8 ml Prime to the tank, since it has been 2 days since the water change.

Monday Morning - Notice that the next smallest Panda's tail fin is now nipped, but still alive, but also hiding under the driftwood.

Monday Evening - The next smallest Panda is dead. I test the water again, and the Ammonia and Nitrite is still 0.

I'm using API liquid test that I've been using for the last couple of months and I've seen 0.5 ppm ammonia and nitrite using this test.

The new smallest Panda is now in hiding, and his/her tail is now also nipped (top left Panda). The other Pandas are slightly larger. But I see that their fins are also nipped.

Also attached is a picture of the dead panda from tonight.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2011, 12:49 AM   #15 
BabyBoyBlue

Unhappy

Below is what Blue looks like now, and as you can see, he's at the front of the tank again. His top fin is still tattered, but he doesn't seem to be afraid anymore.

I think Blue gained his confidence back, and is now being territorial over the tank and harassing the Pandas.

My wife thinks that it's a disease that caused Blue's fins and his change in attitude. And it has now spread to the Pandas and they are slowly dying off and need to find a medication to treat it.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2011, 01:27 AM   #16 
BabyBoyBlue

One other thing (wish I could edit my previous post)... I kept watch on the tank for the entire weekend, and did not notice Blue chasing any of the Pandas. I did notice that he was more active, but I didn't see him flare up or go near the Pandas.... which is why my wife thinks it's ich or something else.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:00 AM   #17 
Sakura8

Hi BabyBoyBlue. First, Blue looks good. Very handsome and his tail seems fuller. I can still see a few rips here and there but he looks like he's healing up very fast.

:( What kind of substrate do you have in your tank? I ask because when I first got pandas, I had a sand substrate and I was completely unaware I was supposed to stir and poke the sand once a month to aerate it. Well, because I didn't stir it, it developed pockets of anaerobic gases and one by one, my pandas would literally just keel over and die. I eventually realized that while they were shuffling and digging around in the sand, they were hitting these pockets of toxic gases and I think it was like stepping on a landmine for them. Poof, all the toxic gases must've just knocked 'em dead right there. I lost two that way. :( Your dead cory looks like the ones I lost, except for the nipped tail. In other words, no real indication of what might have killed them.

You might want to poke your substrate, even if it's gravel, just in case.

If it was ich, you would see it on their black dorsal fins. That was the only way I could tell when my pale-colored betta had ich was when the parasites showed up on her red tail. You would probably be able to see it on their bodies too because their bodies would look like it had raised bumps all over. This is good since cories are so sensitive to most ich treatments.

Have you checked nitrates? Even a high enough nitrate level can cause a sensitive cory to become ill.

But I'm at a loss to explain the nipped tails. I can only conclude they are nipping each other, which would be highly unusual behavior for a cory. Or again, perhaps they are snagging their tails on some jagged part of the driftwood. :/