Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2011, 12:17 AM   #1 
Anitax3x

20 gal tank, Need Help Stocking!

So As of right now I have a heated , filtered 20 gal tank that has 3 corydoras and 4 platies. I had my female but she * once again * is sick. Its nothing new because she came home from petsmart sick. sigh* I've been trying so hard to get her back to health. So shes in qt. Hopefully she makes it through. I want to know how many other fish, and what types could I put in there if she DOES make it. I am open to any and all suggestions. Ruby (my female betta) is really social and loves tankmates. So please please PLEASE help me stock this properly. I don't want to over stock
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #2 
Anitax3x

Also The other fish in the tank are NOT sick in ANY way. She was taken out because I noticed her swimming weird and sitting on the bottom after swimming really hard to try and get air . But Its not the tank. Just the fact that my female has been sick since I took her home.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #3 
Pitluvs

I have no idea myself. I have 6 celestial pearl danios, 5 glowlight tetras, apple snail and a dwarf gouramis in my 20g. I used this site to calculate my stock...

http://aqadvisor.com/
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:44 AM   #4 
Anitax3x

That REALLY helps :D I just wanna know what species would go BEST with my betta female. I may end up putting a male in there if she doesnt pull through :( hopefully that doesnt happen. I just want a good list of compatible fishies
Old 09-17-2011, 04:24 AM   #5 
thePWNISHER

A male you'll have to be picky, With another female, sky's the limit, they are agressive yes but nothing like males. Any community mild temperament fish will do.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #6 
Anitax3x

ok I used a site and im looking at
female betta
4 cory cats - adding one to my 3 already
4 platies
1 dalmation molly
and 10 cherry shrimp
what do you guys think?
Old 09-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #7 
Anitax3x

oh 1 female betta. Which is to be determined simply because ruby has been sick for a few days now :(
Old 09-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #8 
hedgehog

I believe dalmation mollies like to be with members of their own species. They also are quite messy and are brackish fish so they need some salt to thrive. They're live bearers so if you happen to get a female from the pet store (some of employees can tell based on the tail type) she WILL be pregnant and you will have lots of fry. If you are dead set on getting a molly you may need to alter your water change schedule so that the water is kept healthy for the cories and prepare for the molly to have a shortened life span.

I forgot that some mollies can be nippy. When I brought home a dalmation molly to be friends with one I already had the new one systematically hunted down and killed my first molly. She literally nipped her to death over the course of a few hours.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #9 
kumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
ok I used a site and im looking at
female betta
4 cory cats - adding one to my 3 already
4 platies
1 dalmation molly
and 10 cherry shrimp
what do you guys think?
As another poster said, nix the molly. The cherry shrimp will, sooner or later, be hunted by the betta. If you have lots of cover, some will survive and you will probably have babies as well, but they will spend a lot of time hiding with a carnivore that enjoys hunting in the tank! Don't know about the platies and the cherry shrimp. Other members here have reported that their betta coexisted nicely with shrimp for a certain amount of time, then decided to eat their buddy. Amano shrimp are larger and a much better bet with betta. I just got some from a seller on www.plantedtank.net. I'm being cautious and letting them grow some before putting them in with my betta, but that probably isn't necessary.

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #10 
Anitax3x

ok so no molly. lol I have just platies and cory cats at the moment. May I ask for some suggestions for tankmates? I know now more of the species I shouldnt have. I would like to know what kinds I can have :) thanks guys! I havent bought anymore so I really appreciate the advice :)