Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #1 
Bloeduwedd

Question Bloated girls...

So I started a sorority in my 20 gal about two weeks ago. Lost one girl recently, Viola, after she jumped her cup (you guys were great when I asked about that!) My girls have seemed bloated for about a week though... they don't have problems swimming, they're just overly fat. They're pretty piggy at feeding time, and I'm not sure if I can fast them properly, as they have tank mates. Any suggestions on how I can get them back to normal wieght without overly stressing them or starving their tank mates? I cupped them individually today when I fed my other fish, but with how stressful that can be, I'm hoping there's something else i can do

Housing
What size is your tank? 20 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 84 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, two filters running
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 albino cory cats, one regular? cory cat, 4 neon tetras, 5 platies (two soon to be moved out), 2 marble hatchetfish, and 1 ghost shrimp

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TetraMin Tropical Flakes, NutriFin Max tropical fish flakes, frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, fast on Sundays, I use each different food on a cycle and don't feed the same twice in a row

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% one week, 100% the next
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? FloraPride, AquaSafe Plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No :(

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? They're very fat, much more than my males, who are housed in their own tanks and have the amount htye eat more strictly managed
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None yet
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I put them in their cups today when I fed my other fish, but other than that I haven't done anything. I don't want to stress them out like that every day if I don't have to. Stormcloud gets especially stressed when I cup her :(
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Fleur occasionally has probloms with bloating or her swim bladder, which are easily and quickly fixed with Epsom salt. Currently, Stormcloud is the worst.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got them about three to four weeks ago, not sure how old any of them are.

Can't tell if I missed the question or not, but I have not actively cycled my tank. However, it's pretty heavily planted, and I'm always adding new plants. I believe that a tank can never have too many plants :)
Bloeduwedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:33 AM   #2 
Silverfang

Sorry I can't help, but I'm experiencing something similar. My girls are piggies, and they are looking quite plump too. Hope someone can help.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #3 
Myates

I'm stumped Wish there was a way to feed them in different locations. Only thing I can think of is put a tiny bit at a time, wait until it is all gone, put in another tiny pinch, repeat until you see them all eat what you believe is enough. The cory's you can drop their food in while the others are busy, or in the morning prior to turning on the light, and in the evening right after you turn off the light.
Wish I could be of actual help.. I never put a betta in any of my communities for this reason, it worries me.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #4 
Bloeduwedd

For now, I guess I'll just cup during mealtimes, and put them back in when the other fish are done eating. Wish there was a less stressful way :/
Bloeduwedd is offline   Reply With Quote