Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2011, 01:46 AM   #1 
Strat725

Maybe I'm Just paranoid, But...

My new betta has been very happy an active up until recently. He's been eating and very active, but recently he has started hanging around the space between the heater and the side of the tank or in the top corners. I just did his first water change today (only about 10%) and he lives in a 3 Gallon Eclipse tank with a heater. The tank has NOT been cycled. Should I be worried? Or am I just being paranoid?
Strat725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:11 AM   #2 
GreenTea

Hi, welcome to the forum. Can you please fill this out so we can better help you? You don't need to cycle a 3 gallon tank and it will be extremely hard if not impossible to do so. Most likely you are lacking in amount of water changes needed for optimum health. It's great you have a heater!

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #3 
Bresn

How much water change you do,it sound like you do little water change.
Bresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #4 
Myates

Welcome to the forum =) Sorry to hear about your little guy.
Unfiltered 3 gal it is recommended doing 1 100% and 1 50% water change per week.
In a filtered I would do 2 50% water changes per week.. 1 water only, 1 substrate - by either vacuuming it or stir and dip.

Was the water the same temp as his tank, or within 1 degree either way when you changed it?
Did you use the full dose of conditioner for the 10%?

If the answer to one or both is no, it's most likely it had stressed him out a little.
What temp is the tank? Go ahead and fill out the questions posted by GreenTea to rule out anything else. List if there is anything else that has changed, IE clamped fins, coloring, etc.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:09 AM   #5 
Strat725

Thanks for all your responses!!
Here are answers:
Housing
What size is your tank? 3 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 82degF
Does your tank have a filter? Yes (MarineLand Eclipse Tank with 3 step filtration process)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BettaMin
How often do you feed your betta fish? Daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? In the week I have had it I have done three water changes: a 10%, a 30%, and a 20%. (In that order)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus water conditioner (I am using tap water)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I just started noticing the end of his tail has begun to get a whitish tint (possibly fin rot?)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He has become less active in the past few days, and has been hanging out near the top of the tank more.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1.5 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes. I added 1 tsp of salt to the tank (dissolving it in water before adding to the tank)
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have had him for a week.

What do you mean by clamped fins?
My added water was very close to the temperature of the tank.

I've been reading some stuff online, and this kind of sounds like fin rot or ammonia poisoning. It is a new, uncycled tank. If that is the case, what kind of treatment should I do? I've read a bunch of conflicting articles saying to use certain amounts of salt at different amounts, or using certain medications. Or both. What would you all recommend?

Thanks so much!!!
Old 09-24-2011, 03:14 AM   #6 
GreenTea

He is probably just suffering from ammonia build up in the water. You should do a full 100% water change with conditioner immediately and then do 50% and 100% once each week.

If I were you I would add some aquarium salt if you have it, that will keep his ragged tail from getting infected and destress him a bit. Frequent water changes and a high protein diet will also help his tail and immune system mend.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #7 
Myates

The white-ish to clear coloring on the tips of their fins means new fin growth, not fin rot.
Ammonia build up you will see red streaks on his gills and head, along with gasping for air at the surface.. so doesn't sound like ammonia build up.

In a 3 gal filtered, 1 50% water only, and 1 50% substrate only water change per week is recommended. Either vacuume the substrate or mix it up in the tank and dip it out with a cup to get as much of the gook out as you can.

Clamped fins: holding his fins real close to his body and/or squeezing them tight like a folded umbrella.

I would stop the AQ salt, since it is not for a treatment at this time, it is doing more harm then good. You added in salt without the proper 100% daily water changes, which can harm because of the build up. Plus over time it will cause him to become immune to the beneficial properties of it so then it will become void when you actually need it.

You said yesterday you did his first water change, 10%, and when you listed water changes (in order) you done 2 more since yesterday? Did you add in the full amount of the conditioner per water change, and not the reduced amount to match the % of water that was changed?

Are there the appropriate heavy plants (real or fake) and hiding places for him? He may have found a place he feels safe at behind the heater, which some do. He is still new to the tank, so he could be still getting used to it and haven't explored yet.

Also, did you baffle your filter? If you had not, that could easily be why he stays in the corners because the current is too strong for him and stressing him out. A lot of bettas do not like, and do not do good with filters. Don't stop and start your filter, either keep it off and up the water change to 1 50% and 1 100% per week, or baffle it.

It doesn't sound as if he is sick, but more like he is stressed.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #8 
Strat725

Thanks so much for the info Myates! Those water changes were over three days (I mistyped that in my first post). Would the red streaks be difficult to see on a red betta?
As for the conditioner, I have only been adding the percent of the water I was changing, so I'll start adding enough for the whole tank now! I had no idea! Thanks! Question about that though, should I still add the full amount if I am doing daily water changes? Or should I only do it when I'm changing a large amount? My current regiment is alternating 10-20% and 30% every day and then doing a big 50-60% once a week.
There is one tall plant, but behing the heater could definitely be a hiding spot. And yes I have baffled my filter!
Thanks again!!
Old 09-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #9 
EverythingNice55

Hmmm.... Welcome to the forum. Well, I believe that it's normal. Betta's do not like water changes because they live in little dirty puddles in rice fields, so their used to being dirty.
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #10 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingNice55 View Post
Hmmm.... Welcome to the forum. Well, I believe that it's normal. Betta's do not like water changes because they live in little dirty puddles in rice fields, so their used to being dirty.
The bettas here are NOT the same as the wild ones. Other then colors (somewhat) and they have a labyrinth organ.. they are different. You can't compare water out in an eco system with water in a glass tank at home. It's not the same "dirt". Period. So please, you've done it in another thread.. don't say they like and prefer dirty water. Any brown tinted water you see in tanks for bettas have Tannins in the water, which is healthy and not at all dirty. Tanks should be properly cleaned.

----
The red stripes could be hard to see on a red fish, but if he isn't staying at the top gasping for air I would safely rule out ammonia poisoning.
Always add the full amount of conditioner to any water changes you make, regardless of how much you change out. The water disperses in your tank, so you want to make sure it is covered. It is hard to over dose the conditioner, so it is safe.
You only want to do daily water changes when treating a fish for an illness. Otherwise doing too many water changes can be unhealthy in ways that the fish's immune system won't be able to fight off common ailments that would normally build up the immunity with the good bacteria that grows in the tank. (if that makes sense to you. But basically, water can be too clean)
For a filtered 3 gal, I still recommend the 1 50% water only and 1 50% substrate cleaning per week. You can up it if you feel comfortable to 1 50% and 1 100% per week and still be safe. Doing daily water changes can stress them out with so much fluxuation in chemistry.

Last edited by Myates; 09-24-2011 at 11:31 AM.