Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #1 
pretty

Unhappy Strange behavior..

My main squeeze Lover was a very chill fish, would dance when I would sing or talk to him. You know, happy fish things.

He lives in a 5g tank, no filter, no bubble stone, live plants, glass beads on the bottom. He gets 20% water change twice a week, and 50% once a week. His only tank mate was Gary, and here is Lover and Gary's story.

About 5-6 days ago, Gary my Golden-Zebra snail DIED.. I wasn't sure (or maybe just hopeful) that my 50% water change had just shocked him some.. So I left him there for about 24 hours after I first suspected he may have bit the dust. During that 24 hours, Lover made a HUGE bubble nest and was flaring and posing for pictures and things like that.. That night I removed the poor floating Gary RIP little fella.. and went to bed.

This morning I started to do my 50% water change like normal, but Lover was pissed off or something, darting around quickly, and even "attacking" the cup i use to remove water (dont wanna disturb him too much) but he was just not having it!! It's been about an hour since i finished the change, and I usually hang around him and check on him see how he's doing, and he is NOT HAPPY with me or SOMETHING- he poofs up, and stares me down.. if I put my finger to the glass, he literally darts to the back and hides in his plants.. He usually just looks or even comes closer to my finger tip.. I've never seen ANY betta swim so fast..

Not sure whats going on, but I also noticed during the water change that he has a HUGE rip in his tail, and it looks like part of it is missing- It must have happened over night, bcuz i see him regularly since he is next to my favorite chair, and i sing and talk to him every day..

Could this all be related to my poor Gary? He actually seemed so happy with the dead snail in the tank, and now that hes gone and i changed the water he seems SO PISSED OFF!!

Is there anything i can do to calm him down?? He's already damaged or bit his tail all up!

Thanks.. oh and here's a picture of his tail condition
This is when I first brought him home:

and this is today:

pretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #2 
Myates

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about your snail. And Lover is a good looker.
I would do another water change as soon as you can, try to get out as much as possible since you had left a rotting corpse in there for hours, your water will have a lot of unhealthy bacteria in it and 50% won't take it all out.
Looks like he is fin nipping himself, and acting stressed out. Possibly due to the change of water condition that happened quickly overnight. Stress coat will help heal his fins, and keep up with the water changes since it can develop into fin rot easily now since the release of the bad bacteria from the snail. Don't add AQ salt in there with the plants.. but I would make sure you have some on hand just in case.
Sorry that he is acting strangely, but there are a lot of factors that could cause this, so hard to pinpoint just one.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #3 
Luimeril

the ammonia probably upset him alot, and he bit his tail to relieve stress, kinda like how we chew our nails. do a 100% water change on him, and add some aquarium salt to it. x: he's a beautiful fish, though.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Aww poor betta. Like what the others said, do another water change.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #5 
EverythingNice55

Hmm, I am starting to think that your betta must be stressed, and starts biting his tail. Or it could be fin rot, but I think he nips at his tail. Maybe you should try to change his water again. I would try taking out any plastic decorations if you have any. Plastic destroyed my bettas fins once. Good luck. By the way, welcome to the forum.
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:21 PM   #6 
Myates

Fin doesn't look rotted, so do a full water change, double dose the conditioner for that change. DON'T add in AQ salt with your live plants. Keep his water real clean for the next week or so until his tail heals.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:26 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Oh yes, like the post before, best be warned... live plants don't tend to like salt. one of my floating plants died from it D:
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:34 AM   #8 
Pataflafla

To me it looks more like a tear from over flaring or from a decoration. Generally tail biting has jagged edges, but his tail seems to be cleanly ripped.

Either way, just keep his water extra clean for now and feed a high protein diet.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:04 AM   #9 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
To me it looks more like a tear from over flaring or from a decoration. Generally tail biting has jagged edges, but his tail seems to be cleanly ripped.

Either way, just keep his water extra clean for now and feed a high protein diet.
Right above, and right below the clean rip there are a few holes in the shape of the mouth at the edges, hard to see. Most likely having the deceased in there for hours may have caused him to do that. If not, she would need to keep an eye on it.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #10 
pretty

Ok. Did a full waterchange last night, but rushed out this morning and didnt get to check on him very closely, tho he was swimming and responded when I said good morning. He doesn't have anything in his tank that could have damaged his fins, just glass beads and the live plants. He eats bloodworms, actually really likes the freeze dried ones. Clean water and bloodworms should be ok for now, right? How long does it typically take for this kind of injury to heal? I miss his pretty tail :(
pretty is offline   Reply With Quote