Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #11 
sybilline

I think I found the problem, I introduced 2 male mollys into the tank and observed the bigger molly chasing/bullying the smaller male. I decided to leave it as I've read mollys establish a pecking order. However I came home yesterday to find two of the platys fins had been split a tad and the small tear in my bettas fin had become completely torn. I decided it was more than coincidence and decided I needed to seperate the bigger molly from the tank.

I separated him by putting him in a breeding tank that floated around, I rang pets at home and they wouldn't take him back as he could introduce disease into their tanks. I have no friends into the hobby nor would I wish to give them the bully molly, so the only thing I could think of was to euthanize the fish. I used the clove oil method, I know you'll dissatisfy greatly with this as he was a healthy fish however in my eyes it was my only option, I still feel grieved that I had to do this.

Long story short, my betta seems much happier and is exploring every bit of the tank, the smaller molly seems happier as he's showing his fins happily instead of scrunched up and the platys are happier as they're back to their usual selves (they were the first fish I had before I introduced the betta/mollys)

Thanks everyone :)
sybilline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:37 AM   #12 
Qishi

You could have sold him on craigslist or even given him away for free to a new owner. It's sad he had to be euthanized when he was perfectly healthy :(
Qishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:51 AM   #13 
bettafish15

Aw, I feel as though you could have tried to re-home the guy. What's done is done I guess. Remember to keep the water super clean to heal the bettas fins.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote