Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2011, 11:05 PM   #11 
Dragonii

I think I would do the sponge, like Pitluvs said, individual filters would be a lot of plugs.

However, I don't agree with needing tempered glass. Normally I would say yes, at 1/4" thick it would have to be tempered, but... If he built a custom tank that was only say 8" or 10" deep and had a glass wall siliconed in every 6"... there would be enough strenght in the deviders grip and not enough presure with only 10" deep to need tempered. Each of those walls would add strenght.
Dragonii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #12 
Pitluvs

For such a big and expensive project, I personally would go with tempered glass. More support and strength is never a bad thing but I see how your idea would work. LOVE the idea of a custom shallow 48" long though, but divided in 6 portions would suit my taste for decorating LOL My 50g is long but more shallow than a 55, its my fav tank. Buddy I know builds acrylic custom tanks.

I have access to 6mm glass, the ideas......
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #13 
Dragonii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Those are beautiful, do you have a link? How many gallons they rated for?

Sure
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Bio...item2563915a3f

Not sure about the rating.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #14 
Dragonii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
For such a big and expensive project, I personally would go with tempered glass. More support and strength is never a bad thing but I see how your idea would work. LOVE the idea of a custom shallow 48" long though, but divided in 6 portions would suit my taste for decorating LOL My 50g is long but more shallow than a 55, its my fav tank. Buddy I know builds acrylic custom tanks.

I have access to 6mm glass, the ideas......
Tempered would always be nice, but if he only has access to regular glass I think it would be fine to use regular if it has the deviders in it. I have owned several 4" tanks that were not tempered. My 150 gallon is made of 1/2 non tempered and it is just fine, it has two support beems across the top that are part of the plastic frame.

I agree with doing it at 4' with six devisions. He could perfect 8x8x8 cubes x 6. That would look cool.
I just finished building a 9x9x9 cube for one of my guys.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:06 AM   #15 
Betta311

Ok so, im thinking take my 55 apart and use that as a parts tank.chop the glass up and use what I can,then put a sponge filter in each one because its cheap and with two air pumps can be ran..now we have solved the filter problem and eliminated the tank size because ill make it long.now If I drilled a few holes in the glass say like 6-9 1/4 inch holes.could I heat it with one heater?
List
2 big air pumps
Sponge filters
Air hose black
Betta311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:08 AM   #16 
Betta311

Whats IDEAL depth for a betta?
Old 09-25-2011, 02:09 AM   #17 
Pitluvs

Is personally use two heaters at either end so no one gets left out invade the water does hit a portion as much as another.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:13 AM   #18 
Betta311

So can anyone so the math I want each division to be 8" on the front and I want 6-8 fish in it.if I was building a custom tank and wanted each fish to have 3gal how big would it be?
Old 09-25-2011, 02:18 AM   #19 
Betta311

Thank you so much for all your help,everyone will get a big thanks in the tank thread :).
Old 09-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #20 
Dragonii

my 9x9x9 came out to 3.15 gallons.

at 8x8x8 they would be 2.21 gallons each, at 48" you would get 6 evenly devided 8x8x8 chambers.
Nothing says that it has to be perfect cubes.

Play with the measurments and figure out what you want.
http://www.fishfriend.com/tank_volume_calculator.html

As for depth, bettas are more lateral swimmers, depth doesn't matter so much. 6 inches deep would be just fine.