Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #1 
ksage505

Ahhh back of tank bowed out, gap large enough for a betta to swim through?

I have a female and male betta in a divided tank. The divider came with the tank. I just noticed the back of the tank has bowed out leaving a gap in the divider. Neither fish seems to have noticed, I'm not quite sure if they'd be able to fit through. I shoved the heater up against the other side and put a plant in front of the other but its not that high. I don't have anywhere else to move one of them to right now other than just one of the clear plastic betta cups. I'm afraid one of them will end up slipping through over night... does it look large enough for that to happen?
Attached Images

ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #2 
Leeniex

Yes, I would take one out and figure out what to do. Don't risk it, even if one has to spend a few days in the cup.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #3 
HatsuneMiku

wow that's crazy !! .. i didn't know a tank could do that !!

is there no way to push the bow back in place? .. i assume ur tank is acryllic ?
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #4 
ksage505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
Yes, I would take one out and figure out what to do. Don't risk it, even if one has to spend a few days in the cup.
Thanks, I went ahead and cupped my female. I'm just going to float her on her side of the aquarium so she can still stay warm with the heater. I should be able to get another aquarium set up tomorrow.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #5 
ksage505

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post
wow that's crazy !! .. i didn't know a tank could do that !!

is there no way to push the bow back in place? .. i assume ur tank is acryllic ?
Neither did I -_-" Yes, apparently a pretty bad one. Pushing it does no good, it just bows right back out once I stop pushing on it. I also tried taking out some of the water to get rid of some weight but it didn't make a difference.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #6 
BettaMiah

That always happens to me. My tank is bowed really bad. So I shove plants there.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #7 
HatsuneMiku

that's soo scary .. it's like you don't know if ur tank will morph @_@ i wonder what causes this to happen ..
Old 09-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #8 
adamxaotmic

Quote:
*SNIP*
i wonder what causes this to happen ..
The weight of the water pushing out on the tank. Glass and acrylic tanks do this. Usually if the tank is high end, it wont. A lot of bigger tanks come with cross braces in the middle to keep this from happening.
And acrylic is actually stronger than glass at the same thickness.
adamxaotmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #9 
HatsuneMiku

wow !! .. glass can do this too @_@ !! .. there's no way to prevent this ? other then putting a board in the back .. but what if it happens in the front or the side ? D=
Old 09-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #10 
adamxaotmic

Quote:
wow !! .. glass can do this too @_@ !! .. there's no way to prevent this ? other then putting a board in the back .. but what if it happens in the front or the side ? D=
All tanks bow. And those who argue I'd ask to put a straight edge against the front of your tank.
Acrylic bows more than glass.
There really is no way to prevent it aside from buying a higher quality tank, or reinforcing your cross brace. ( Or adding one if you don't already have one.)
adamxaotmic is offline   Reply With Quote