Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #21 
CalvinWill

The last few pictures will come after he is free. I sure hope everything goes alright.
Attached Images

CalvinWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #22 
gwenny

I love the light/dark theme! Are you planning on getting a second betta for the other section?
gwenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #23 
CalvinWill

Yes.

He is a soft and lightly colored betta so I am going to put him in the darker side. The female I have in mind will be darker and a bit bolder.

That is the plan, but M1 is a very marbled and inconsistently colored guy. Who knows what he will look like after a few weeks in his new digs.

The first "water change" went well, though he was flaring at me when i walked up to grab his cup. I don't know if he is overly stressed, but he is certainly a bit nervous.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #24 
CalvinWill

Home!
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #25 
CalvinWill

He had a big flaring contest with the statue when he first saw it. He also flared at the thermometer.

He recognized the marimo ball. He rubbed against it and went on exploring. I think he will do alright here.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Last edited by CalvinWill; 10-04-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: pic
Old 10-04-2011, 11:39 PM   #26 
dramaqueen
Banned

Stresscoat can help but clean water is the best medicine for finrot. Oh, and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:48 AM   #27 
Gloria

Beautiful story.. Lucky little guy.. He is absolutely gorgeous... I love the new tank :) I hope you have lots of fun being a Betta parent again :)
Good luck wuth finding him a lady-friend
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #28 
CalvinWill

I got to thinking about water changes and cycle issues today, and didn't find any conclusive information or answers. Sorry if this has been explained a thousand times.

So, we have a new 10 gallon tank with 1 happy little Betta in it. All of the water is fresh and conditioned. All decorations were given a thorough cleaning before going back into the new tank.

What sort of water change schedule should I be looking at here? I want to hold off on the first change as long as would be responsible so I can let him relax and feel safe in his big new home.

I do not have an amonia test kit yet. I never saw the point with a 1 gallon that I would need to change daily anyway. I can get one this weekend.

How should i approach these first weeks in the new tank?
Old 10-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #29 
CalvinWill

After 1 week in the new tank, things are looking good.

I have an ammonia test kit now, and after a few readings over 2.0ppm followed by partial water changes, his side of the tank just tested at .25ppm. I would like it to be lower, obviously, but I am happy to be approaching "healthy" range.

Today I saw him working on his first bubble nest. His fins are slowly regrowing and he hangs around at the top of his tallest plant and flares when i get near it. When I go to the other side of the tank (the food side) he darts around eagerly waiting for his new Bio-Gold to drop in.

No updated pictures yet, but i will post some soon so you can see his fin and color improvements.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #30 
Myates

Glad to hear he is better =) And yay on the bubble nest!

For 10 gals filtered/cycled usually 25% a week is good for water changes. If you see a high ammonia testing prior to the water change, you can up it to about 50%. Make sure to dose with conditioner the full dosage for 10 gals, regardless the % you take out.

0 is idea for ammonia, up to .25 isn't too dangerous. Just test prior to your weekly water changes and make any adjustments needed on the % until you find what works the best. Just don't do too much (I'd say more then 50%) as then it could mess up the cycle of the tank. I'd test tomorrow and if it is still at .25 or higher, I'd do a 10-25% water change tomorrow and that should be good for the week.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote