Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #1 
thePWNISHER

WTH Petsmart!@!

Okay, so I buy a tube plant that says "Guranteed snail free" from Petsmart about a week ago. Well Guess who found a ramshorn snail last night in my tank. WTF! I seen another one this morning in a crevice of my driftwood that I can't get too. I guess I'm infected. Tank hasn't even finished cycling yet and now I have to deal with this? Well I haven't committed to any other snails yet. I'm thinking of getting a few assassin snails when I start stocking.

Anyone know how I can go about getting my money back or something from Petsmart? I mean $2 for a tube plant is not going to cover my cost and sanity of dealing with these guys.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

I would try setting in a complaint, but there is not much you can do. you cannot prove THAT was the cause of snails. And trust me, I have gotten the same from live plants, even from tanks that were not at all infected with a single snail. I found a way though, is either squish them and feed 'em to the fish (delicious....to them...), or siphon them up. Also, even if it is a "snail free" plant I'd rinse it with a bucket of aquarium water, shaking it gently to release any snails, then have it not in your tank (perhaps in another bucket of clean aquarium water) just in case there are eggs.

I feel your pain x.x My one 10 was covered in them...

Tip to get snails out: lettuce, or slice of zuchinni apparently works well. I had this one fake plant they adored and would cover o_O no idea why... it was a rather rough plant so it was taken out soon to protect my betta's fins :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #3 
puppyrjjkm

That's a bummer. But if you're going for a planted tank i personally like them in my 10 gal planted. It makes it more "natural" in my opinion... but I suppose it's personal preference :)
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #4 
betta dude

i only buy artifishal plants cause every one despises them here
betta dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #5 
thePWNISHER

well with a planted tank, ramshorn eat live plants. I don't need this right now. So I'm going to invest in some assasin's soon.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #6 
Princess Penny

That is strange. I have only bought live plants from tanks at my LFS (though I have bought the tubed plants from Petsmart in the past, and never had snails), I always see a ton of snails in the tanks so I make sure I rinse them really really good before putting them in my tank... so far, so good... ugh, what a pain though. Good luck sorting that out! :\
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #7 
thePWNISHER

yeah, I was lead into a false sense of security. My one plants that were from a tank my anubias and my anacharis I had QT for a week in chlorinated water and they were clean. they were first to go in a month ago and the tube that is suppose to be snail free is contaminated. It is all i've added since adding the fish.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:39 AM   #8 
guardianfyre

The tubed plants are grown completely out of water, in the gel that is in the bottom of the tube (that's why there is often gel with roots grown through them). There is no way possible for them to become infested with snails since the snails need water in order to live unless a PetSmart employee put the plant temporarily in a tank (though I can't think of any reason why they would...) or it was a return and the person who returned it already had snails in their tank.
guardianfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:28 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

True... And hey at the one saying "everyone on here despises fake plants" I do not :p I use both fake and real plants, wood, rocks... whatever won't tear my fishy's fins :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #10 
thePWNISHER

yah must of been a return, there was very very little gel at the bottom.