Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #1 
Anitax3x

Male in Community tank?

OK so as many of you may have seen my female who I was going to put in my 20 gal community tank has passed :((( (RIP RUBY). I have 3 albino cories and 4 dif kinds of platies in the 20. I have 3 males right now, two I'm keeping in the 3 way divided 10 gal tank, and one who is really well tempered and tends to just go with the flow. My CT male Caspian is a strong and fast swimmer, and he isnt skiddish or aggressive. ( I know sounds weird right) But last night I transfered him into the middle of my 3 way divided which has the filter, the baffle wasnt doing so well so i started messing with it to fix it. He swam right up and watched. he didnt bite my fingers or flare, he just watched, i had to almost push him with my lil sponge before he swam away from my hands, and then about 2 mins later hes right back to watching. He didn't initially participate in the huge flaring war my DT male tried to start with him when they first went in, he kind of ignored it. Point is I've been looking into buying a hmpk from AB and I'm afraid that if I do, and he can't be in the community, I have to get another tank (budget) so I'd like to try my CT male in the community first. Any of you think this is a bad idea? or suggestions? I plan on adding more hiding spots and I'll bring his fav floating betta log into the 20 with him. I use tannins in the water so that he and everyone else is more relaxed. INPUT PLEASE
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #2 
Anitax3x

i would really like advice!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

Should be fine. Just mind the currents. But wait to buy another fish until you have watched him in the new tank for at least a week.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #4 
Anitax3x

oh yeah I think if I add more of any fish It will have to be after I know he has adjusted. I put him in there today. He only flares when the platies get too curious and get close to him. He flares they zip away, he goes about his business. I see no stress bars, and no irratic behavior. He's just kinda swimming. I put 5 ghost shrimp for him to hunt *i know that sounds bad but its life* So he can have variety in his diet. I'll prob put more , I put tons more hiding spots *fake plants* and I big 3 swirl bamboo. He likes to hide in my driftwood and he doesnt flare at the cories or any other fish unless they kind of get in his face. He's a lil stressed, but I think He'll adjust nicely. I have tannins in the water *tea bags naturally decaf green tea* so he should be pretty relaxed and I had him in the tannins in his old tank. I baffled the filter with sponges and a water bottle so the current isnt strong he can sit at the surface with no problem. I'm watching him for the next week. If he starts to stress, I'll put him back in my divided tank and find a female betta to go in there. He's my most laid back betta male, so I think he should do fine. He hasnt freaked out or anything, even when he was first put in my divided with another male. So yeah. I'll keep this updated :D