Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #21 
fishy friend2

Here is a pic
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3.../bloodworm.jpg
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:17 AM   #22 
SassyBetta

the ones she has in her tank are huge and have rounded heads i really dont think they are blood worms lol if they are then call ripley and get that put in the book lol bigest blood worms
SassyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #23 
Sakura8

I just went out to look at them and I think they are eating each other. I tried to pry them apart with a toothpick but, I dunno . . .
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:37 AM   #24 
Pataflafla

Creepy, crawly, cannibal worms. Lovely.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #25 
sorrelhorse1

REALLY wish I hadn't viewed this thread! *gagging*
sorrelhorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #26 
Sakura8

Haha, really wish I hadn't found the buggers. XD
Old 09-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #27 
flowerslegacy

Yikes Sakura!! I had to do my own googling and found a thread regarding this issue. Appears to be the same worm?? Read through it because they discuss the worm in detail and perhaps you can decipher if it's the same worm you have. I hope the link for the thread works! Here it is: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ry-144999.html

I'm completely interested in know what that disgusting thing is. If your LFS doesn't know, try calling the Albany Aquarium. They have an enormous selection of plants and I'm sure they could answer the question for you since it arrived with the plants. Gross!!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:10 PM   #28 
Sakura8

Hi flowerslegacy. Well, I took it back in to the LFS and they said bloodworm but I don't believe them at all. For one thing, it was way too long to be a bloodworm and for another thing, it was flattish, not round, and not segmented like a bloodworm. It also was missing the little head part that I see on the bloodworms I feed my bettas. It definitely does sound like whatever that person in the thread you found for me had, though. Thank you for finding that.

Also found a whole clutch of eggs in the bottom of the cup when I went to take it back to the LFS. They said snail eggs. o.O Ewww. I'm glad I made them take the cup and dump everything out because no way do I want that many pond snails in my tanks.

So for now, I put the corkscrew val in my fry tank and the rest are in the big platy QT tank. I'll leave them there for a day or two. Kind of in a pickle, actually. No sooner did I put the plants in the platy tank than one of the girls started popping out fry and now they are hiding in the plants. Must find new hiding spot for the fry before I take the plants out.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #29 
thePWNISHER

it is a San Juan worm. Its from New Mexico. My buddy who is big into worms, since he does the other type of fishing, says its the fly fisherman's novice worm because of the size and the bright colors they can come in. Its harmless and not a parasite. it will be a great meal for your fish.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:41 PM   #30 
Sakura8

Really? San Juan worm. *eagerly opens up Google* Yeah, that's what they look like all right (except for not being skewered on a hook). Wow, thanks for the info, PWNISHER. I wonder if my plants came from an area in New Mexico.