Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2011, 02:12 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

My friend's betta - she rescued?

Okay, the low down. She asked me to take a look, and to me it looks like SBD (bloated, blowing huge bubbles, swimming sideways).

I asked (using the lid of the food container) how much she feeds per day, and it's a good amount of flake. she also feeds little amount of freeze dried bloodworms - same as I do.

She got him from her next door neighbor. The red betta, Saske...Saskai.... (anime/japanese loving people correct me on the spelling of "sauce-kay") was in a 29 gallon completely covered with algae... you could not see in it. It had NOT been cleaned often, obviously. I have no idea if they dumped food in, or forgot to feed, or anything. Just I know the tank was not taken care of...

Now, he has all the signs of SBD like I said, unfortunately she said when she got him (this has been about a month now) he was like this, but not as bad. He eats, is VERY active, and often rests on things.

I will be having him in approximately 2 gallons, and will add 1 teaspoon AQ salt per 12 hours, as on here I noticed is usually what ya say :) see if that helps. I will also be fasting him...

Could this be an internal parasite? A problem from an unclean tank (ammonia build up definitely in that tank)? Or possibly from just having SBD? Any suggestions? :) I don't think her 10 gallon is cycled, but she moved him into that which he is happy, with his one live plant. So I will be changing out his water to my cycled aquarium water, and be floating him (20 gallon) for the temperature.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 09-24-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:27 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

For internal you'll want epsom salt. and maybe see if she's willing to switch him to pellets. flakes cause a lot of bloating issues and they're hard to measure an exact amount of. bloodworms as a meal replacement or small treat too.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:30 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

I don't know what he has o_O lol I am pretty sure it's SBD. but I am fasting him :) I don't have pellets either, but I use bloodworms, flakes, live food, so each day is different. I have bettas who refuse pellets >< (Spartan....) lol!!! picky fishies :)

Hmm epsom, I'll look into getting that. Would AQ hurt him at all though? just for now? it's 100% water change each day anyways. he definitely hates the smaller confinements, but I have no choice for that little guy.

Oh forgot to mention, we guess he is about... one and a half years old.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:31 AM   #4 
Pataflafla

If he does have swim bladder issues (which it does sound like) aq salt will make it worse. so just hold off on it for now. feed him live foods instead of the flakes for now until he's not having any more issues too.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:35 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

That's a plan :) I have mealworms... I've reverted to squeezing the meat out so no more Marge-Mishaps of swallowing a piece whole o_O lol. I think he'll like the change up... I'll find some epsom tomorrow, after work. I'm just worried because of the tank he used to be in... He does not appear to have any visual problems like with his gills... His fin edges are a bit weird, and curled. but he's a real fighter.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:40 AM   #6 
Pataflafla

I think the clean water will tide him over for now.It's a little more important getting him swimming correctly without having to struggle to stay upright. You should be able to tell quickly if he has any other serious issues as well.

Epsom can be found at pharmacies, walmart, Smith's, pretty much any grocery or drug store since it's a laxative. It's pretty cheap too.I can get a 1 pound box at mylocal smith's for a dollar.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

cool :)
I noticed his fins are basicially in strips. A piece fell off and is now in the bottom of his floating container o_O my friend doesn't have anything to have him snag it, and it doesn't look like fin biting because it's in strips, rather than a chunk.
However his bloating has gone doen a little.

These pictures will suck and I am sorry lol but basically this is him... and his fallen fin piece o_o The pictures show it at the bottom/back...

They didn't really have much in the 29 gallon for him (previous owner before my friend). Apparently however it DID house a weed plant for a while before the fish... He also had some guppies but my friend couldn't get them too.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #8 
EverythingNice55

I don't see a problem with having a dirty tank because bettas live in dirty little puddles in Japan. It's just where they live... My Mr Jingles loves a dirty tank, and he hates it when I clean it. But, it is certainly a problem if they did not feed the bettas in a long time... I hope he gets better!
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Well, the 29 gallon was never cleaned. I believe they also had the 5 guppies in there. The algae, I never have a problem with. It's the ammonia build up that causes problems... although fish in the wild live in murky puddles and water... like in Thailand, where my friend says the wild ones are just off of a swamp, our domesticated breed, doesn't live in natural settings where the ground would soak up stuff, natural weather, and all that... Domesticated, has fake walls, with fake rocks, sometimes fake plants... So ammonia goes nowhere, but stays there.

So technically, especially if it housed plants like marijuana before him and was unlikely to have been cleaned ammonia would definitely be present along with harmful toxins. If it were cleaned, it would probably have been chemicals. (guessing, no one really knows). Food could have been dumped in, or he could have been forgotten. We don't eve know how it got coated with algae o_O the tank was on the floor not in any direction of sunlight...

My bettas get slow, and don't eat as much if I don't clean when I am supposed to. definitely depends on the betta xD but as for Sasuke (found out the spelling) he needs clean aquarium water, heated, and all that :) especially if his fins are falling off!!!
Old 09-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #10 
Myates

@ Everythingnice
Umm... a dirty tank IS bad. They don't live in "dirty" puddles... You don't want dirty water because it will lead to different diseases and viruses and parasites. It's not the same as the wild. The wild the water isn't sitting there collecting huge amounts of ammonia that your truly dirty water is. The eco system they live in is balanced correctly, unlike if you let your water become dirty. The brown coloring in the wild is of the tannin variety, which is very healthy for them... the brown coloring in your tank if you let it get dirty is actual filth and very unsanitary... o.O
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote