Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2011, 02:55 AM   #1 
Kytkattin

Very Frustrated/Upset At Roommates

One of my roommates, one I have never really talked to, and I get the vibe that she doesn't really like me, has 2 fish in the common area. One is a goldfish, the other is a betta. She thinks the goldfish is a molly. It's not. It is so much a goldfish that I would bet 2 years college tuition on that fact. The goldfish is in maybe 1 gallon. She left for the weekend today, and the bowl literally stunk so much I decided I would clean it. I cleaned the betta too because it looked like whoever she left in charge of feeding overfed soooo much. I swear there were 50 pellets in that bowl...
The goldfish's gills are so red, and have been for so long, I am surprised the poor thing is still alive. It's friend isn't, it died about 2 weeks ago. Probably the last time she changed the water too.
I don't see much hope for the goldfish. They need too much space, even if she was willing to buy it something bigger. We can't have bigger than 10 gallon tanks here.
The betta is actually in pretty good spirits considering the neglect. He loves to build bubble nests, but 1/2 a gallon is just way too small for him. The only benefit I can see (when he isn't overfed) is that being so cold slows down his system so he doesn't produce as much waste. However, I am well aware that his immune system won't last forever, and going so long in dirty water will catch up to him sooner or later.
So basically I feel stuck. Even though I have a spare 2 gal with heater for the betta, my roommate is not interested (and I am sure you are wondering how I can have a spare tank without a betta!).
This is just a rant. I don't see any hope for change.
Though I do have picture evidence of what a Molly is for the next idiot who brings up the subject.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:20 PM   #2 
TequilatheBetta

That's terrible.. why get fish if you don't want to take care of it?
I would just leave on my laptop a website 'how to take care of goldfish' that has a picture of a goldfish that looks like her. Then leave it in front of her tanks. Or maybe buy a ten gallon tank for her birthday or something, as a hint :).
As for the bettas, maybe you could say "hey ________, i'm planning on building a divided tank for one of my bettas. Do you want to put yours in too?" then list why it's so much better then the half gallon :)
good luck!
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #3 
BettaMiah

Oh no. I feel so bad for the Goldfish!

Uhm, can I suggest something? Maybe you can take it to the pet store or re-home it while she is gone. They just say it died and you disposed of it because it smelled.

I feel so bad. Red gills.

That poor baby is probably screaming 'Help! Please, help!'

I'm going to cry.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

To be honest I have thought about euthanizing the poor goldfish. Since freezing them is the humane way of killing them, that would probably be best. The pet store won't take it back, at least I wouldn't think they should. Who knows what diseases this one might have at this point? If I was a pet store I wouldn't accept it, but idk. Plus I would have to show my other roomies the body. I would need proof that the fish died. Since I have already shown them my expensive, nice tank, and soon I will be hiding a tarantula in my room, I don't want them to think I stole the fish and am hiding that.

I imagine that if the betta can hold on until Christmas break, and as I said, he seems to be good so far, she will probably be very bored of him. We'll see. I will keep sneaking water changes when I think I can. He is just such a large fish! Not a giant or anything, but so much bigger than my deltas.

And unfortunately I can't actually set up another divided tank. I am totally maxed out as far as tanks go. The most I can set up is another 2 gallon.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #5 
BettaMiah

:( You could just say you flushed it. Why do they need proof?
Old 09-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #6 
Kytkattin

Some of them are still here. It would be weird if I just took it upon myself to flush it without showing them proof. Maybe if they all went away, but I don't know if that will ever happen.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #7 
BettaMiah

Yeah. Poor, poor thing. It is living in hell on earth.

Your signature- for the Goldie- NOPE! GET ME THE HELL OUTTA HERE!!!!
Old 09-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #8 
spriken

Ok heres what I'd do about the goldfish. First find someone that would take it.
second go to a pet store,you can always find dead feeder fish of all sizes in those tanks.
Buy a dead one that looks like hers,swap and rehome him.
If it's just decor to her she will never know about the swap and fishy can live happy.
spriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:51 PM   #9 
Pitluvs

I believe the only humane way of euthanizing is clove oil, not freezing. Freezing is not instant death, its prolonged over hours. Please don't.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #10 
BettaMiah

Pitluvs- You are right, somewhat.

For Goldfish it isn't that bad because they are coldwater so they will go into hibernation then die in their sleep, but for, say a Betta, it would be torture because they are tropical.

But true Clove Oil for any fish is better, just not absolutely needed for a Goldie.