Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2011, 12:06 AM   #11 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMiah View Post
Pitluvs- You are right, somewhat.

For Goldfish it isn't that bad because they are coldwater so they will go into hibernation then die in their sleep, but for, say a Betta, it would be torture because they are tropical.

But true Clove Oil for any fish is better, just not absolutely needed for a Goldie.
Do you have proof/actual documentation that's its fine for coldwater fish you can post?
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:10 AM   #12 
BettaMiah

What?

Koi, who are pond fish, live outside in a pond, right? And when it gets cold they start to hibernate, then the pond freezes. They will wake up, but it must be done gradually. In this case, the Goldfish won't wake up. Goldfish are kin to Koi, they also can live in ponds.

I found that very, very rude of you.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:15 AM   #13 
hermeh

Nice new avatar @-pitluvs. :)

I would use clove oil for both a betta and a goldfish. I don't know if freezing doesn't hurt a goldfish.
hermeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:30 AM   #14 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMiah View Post
What?

Koi, who are pond fish, live outside in a pond, right? And when it gets cold they start to hibernate, then the pond freezes. They will wake up, but it must be done gradually. In this case, the Goldfish won't wake up. Goldfish are kin to Koi, they also can live in ponds.

I found that very, very rude of you.
Not being rude, I just asked you if you could post something that would prove goldfish can freeze to death and its not inhumane. Like a Google page or such. Doesn't matter, I can look it up I just figured you would have some info handy. Sorry you took me the wrong way.

Edit to add: I am finding equal pages that are for freezing and against. Mostly older sites, 2005 and older are for it and newer sites are suggest against it.

Hermeh, I've had it for a while, its my Twitch :) I miss my Venom pic though.

Last edited by Pitluvs; 09-25-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:43 AM   #15 
bahamut285

@BettaMiah: I am wondering why is it that you fly off the handle when somebody calls you rude, and yet you feel justified in telling others that they were being rude. That just makes no logical sense to me.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:47 AM   #16 
Kytkattin

From my research I don't believe it is inhumane to freeze a goldfish for the same reasons that BettaMiah posted. They are a cold water fish, and sometimes they live in water that is literally frozen on top. It is not unusual to see ice with fish frozen to death inside. It is a very natural death in my opinion. And much more humane than rotting in her own waste and suffocating. Plus clove oil would smell, and if I do this I do need a body.

I would LOVE to find someone that has room for another fish that can grow to be 12+ inches. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone here, let alone someone with that level of expertise or room. If someone in the area (I will only narrow it down to CA, central coast for privacy reasons) wants to PM me I would jump at the chance to switch out the fish for a dead one and give the live fish to someone else. I just don't think that is going to happen.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:51 AM   #17 
PewPewPew

Errybody gettin' all kinds of derp now 'a days.

Kyt, I just have to say, I kind of had a chuckle to

"She thinks the goldfish is a molly. It's not"

Your roommate is a bit...well, yeah. Tell her kindly to google it. LOL!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:53 AM   #18 
metalbetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
@BettaMiah: I am wondering why is it that you fly off the handle when somebody calls you rude, and yet you feel justified in telling others that they were being rude. That just makes no logical sense to me.
+1. :)
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:55 AM   #19 
Pitluvs

If you feel fine with it. Personally I know fish feel stress and pain, and its something I could never do with a clean conscience (spelling). I would prefer something more instant, especially for a fish that's suffered enough already. Such a rough spot you're in :(

And yes, Mollie and Goldfish? Unless its a balloon Mollie, I can't see how someone could make that connection or, uh, misconnection haha

Last edited by Pitluvs; 09-25-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:55 AM   #20 
TheCrysCat

Quote:
@bettamiah: I am wondering why is it that you fly off the handle when somebody calls you rude, and yet you feel justified in telling others that they were being rude. That just makes no logical sense to me.
+999999999 <3
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote