Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2011, 02:44 AM   #1 
Help BLUE

Unhappy PLEASE HELP BLUE!!! I don't want him to die

I've had Blue 3 years and recently I noticed a white-ish mold fungus infection on his top fin. I read it could be ICK or ROT FIN FUNGUS... I've tried Methylene Blue as well as a Liquid Freshwater Fungus Medication.. It doesn't seem to help and it looks like he's having a hard time swimming now. It's getting worse, he eats less often and isn't as active. What is this, how did he get this and what can I do? I read put a little epson salt in the water? Does anyone know about this? Can anyone help PLEASE?
I'm Sad :( Posted pic but there are more in my album.

Thank you.
Attached Images

Help BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #2 
Laki

o.o *bump*

I don't know but that looks bad. When did you notice it begin to happen? I think epsom salt in the water is mainly for bloat, so don't do that. Instead add aquarium salt. That stuff treats infections but should only be used for 10 days at a time, take a week off. The measurment is a teaspoon per gallon (mix it up and stabalize it before adding it to the tank).

I'm really sorry, I don't know what that is but I hope the aq salt can make him better :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #3 
Help BLUE

Thanks for responding, I really thought he was going to die last night. I changed his water and added the fungus medication and he completely flipped out when I put him in the water. I imagined it as when we get a scrape and put alcohol on it to clean it stings a bit. He settled down a while after that as is still alive today :) I first noticed it about a week ago and began treating it then, he didn't seem to get better... actually worse. That's when I found this site with a lot of info. I will try the aquarium salt. Thank you
Old 09-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #4 
BettaMiah

Epsom salt will help. Keep hm warm.

It for sure isn't Ich (Ick) I believe it is a fungus.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #5 
Laki

Im not sure which fungus cure you're using but I would stay away from things like BettaFix, PimaFix, MelaFix. . Etc. They contain tea tree oil which, as noted by it's strong odor, can potentially burn but worst of all it can damage the labrynth organ. So I heard somewhere that aquarium salt should fix most fishie ailments.

I mean, don't get me wrong! I bought and used bettafix without any problems but with the dangerous potential there for trouble I wouldn't risk it again. (I bought it before knew how harmful it could be). Knowledge comes with exprience, my friend :) Many products out there are more harmful than helpful!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #6 
TheCrysCat

I agree with Laki. I don't see how epsom salt would help here... it's ok, just don't use it the next time you change his water. And he was flailing around like that because he wasn't used to the chemicals and you didn't acclimate him... again, if he's alright it's no big deal, but do it the next time you change his water.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #7 
cajunamy
Banned

Epsom salt will not help here. Whatever it is it is honestly too far advanced for aquarium salt to help either.

To me it looks like fin rot so advanced it has started attacking his body. Get an appropriate medication for it.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Help BLUE View Post
and recently I noticed

Do you keep him in a back room and not look at him?

Im sorry, but things like this, they do not happen over night... Or even in a few days.

I would run him on a gram neg and positive medicine sched. for a while, to aggressively get rid of the rot (gram neg) and then cure any secondary infection that might be gram-pos.

Clean water, moderate temps and water changes according to the dosages on the boxes will put him right.

Honestly, though, considering his age and how awful this looks, he might just not be able to handle it... The older they are, like in people, the harder it gets for them to recover.

I would suggest meds like maracyn I and II used together for the recommended full dose and time, and once that's over using moderate salt treatments (up to 2tsp/gallon) and vigorously clean water, along with high-protien foods (upwards of 45% or live foods) to help him regain strength.

This is in no way ich, of course, and its not a fungus... its just rot, and awful rot at that. Once he's better or in future with another fish, please look at how to care for them adequately with frequent enough water changes, as this is how rot usually occurs-- from lack of sufficiently clean water.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:42 PM   #9 
Help BLUE

Blue's Medications

These are the medications I have for him, I used to use the Methylene Blue in his bowl which is why the fungus was hard to see against his Blue color (No I didn't keep him in a back room and not look at him - Didn't appreciate that comment but thanks for your help) Anyhow, his water was changed twice a week now everyday. I started using warmer water than before and it does seem to help him a bit. The only medication I'm using in his water at the time is the water conditioner pictured. I'm afraid to mix the chemicals by using more than one medication at a time. Should I switch to just the Fungus medication instead?
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #10 
hakishimiei14

That looks really bad... I hope he gets better
hakishimiei14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sick beta