Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #1 
EverythingNice55

Unhappy After His Water Change, He Just SNAPPED!

My betta, Mr Jingles, might be sick, and I don't know what it is or what to do! Let me explain the whole story, because he is acting the strangest he has ever acted before!

So, yesterday (Friday September 23 2011) I did a 100% water change. He freaked out in his little cup, but I think that's normal. Then, I scrubbed his tank (WITH NO SOAP) and I washed out his gravel with hot water, then I cooled it off with a little bit of cold water so it's not too hot. Then I washed his decorations, too. I put in some distilled water, and I put in conditioner. About one and a half cap fulls. I let it sit so the conditioner would do it's thing, then a few minutes later I put Mr Jingles back in. He was used to his home already. He knew he was safe. Then, I made Mr Jingles a name tag thing. I was just making his name tag thing, then when I finished, I put it beside his tank. I took a look at him to see if he liked it, but I noticed that he was at the top. I wondered what he was up to. I stared at him for 3 minutes and he just sat there waving his fins quickly as if he was struggling. He looked kind of hurt. Then, I figured out that he was pooping. But he was having trouble pooping. It took him about 8 minutes to poop. His poop looks normal, but it has a black bump in it. He only stays at the top, he doesn't move around or anything. He always goes upside down or something strange like that now and then. He waves his fins around like a nut. Then, the day after I changed his water, he is worse. He has huge eyes. I'm scared it might be popeye! They look widened and weird. He is acting strangely... WHAT DO I DO!? PLEASE HELP! I'M REALLY WORRIED!!
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #2 
EverythingNice55

Is there anybody that can help? I don't think Mr Jingles can take it any longer!! D:
Old 09-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #3 
Myates

You used distilled water? Not good... take him out, change his water 100%, add in TAP water and conditioner, make sure it's the same temp as before and add him back in.
Pooping is normal when a fish gets antsy such as when netted or moved around. Even flaring can cause them to poop...
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #4 
Myates

If you suspect pop eye, then use Epsom salt, 1 tsp/gal 100% daily water changes. That can help with his constipation as well.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #5 
EverythingNice55

Oh! OK. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #6 
EverythingNice55

But there's an issue.... I spent a lot of money on distilled water since the pet store owner said that distilled water is recommended, and so I believed him... And my tap water is foggy, and I am not even allowed to drink tap water since it's so foggy... I used distilled water on him before and he was fine, it's just after this water change he went crazy. I confused....... D:
Old 09-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #7 
SassyBetta

well idk about the others but i use distilled ( i think thats what its called when its left to sit for 24 hours right?) my mom has a huge 75 gal drum of water that she airates overnight with prime ( awsome stuff btw ) and uses that to fill her discus tank, and those fish are not cheap fish lol , and i use it for my bettas too and have not once had a problem with it. i really hope that everything works out with your lil guy :) what Myates is saying and with the epsome is a good idea
SassyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:11 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

Quote:
i think thats what its called when its left to sit for 24 hours right?
Nope,
Distilled water is water that has many of its impurities removed through distillation. Distillation involves boiling the water and then condensing the steam into a clean container.

I would not use 100% distilled because it lacks minerals the bettas need. However, what I would do is use maybe 25% or so distilled and mix it with tap water and conditioner.

Also, maybe something was on your hands and it got into his tank, like a chemical or something. Either way, i would do a 100% water change jsut to be safe.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 09-24-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #9 
EverythingNice55

OK! Thanks for the help! I will try everything and anything!!
Old 09-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #10 
Pataflafla

What were you feeding him? And freeze dried bloodworms? those usually turn poop black.

Did you reacclimate him tot he temperature before releasing him? It could be a temp shock which can cause sbd.

1 tsp/gal epsom salt should help.

If your water is foggy, try letting it sit with dechlorinator all night and see if it improves.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
popeye, sick betta