Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #1 
ALS1104

live plant questions

I have hornwarts in each of my tanks and keep having issues with them dying... well actually- im not sure if they're dying or not but they're yellowish and loosing alot of leaves or whatever you call it. I bought them knowing they shed but it seems like alot more than they should... all water conditions are good and in normal ranges, they get plant food so what's their deal?! And if this is normal I need alternative live plant suggestions!
ALS1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #2 
Princess Penny

What kind of lighting do you have? What kind of "plant food" do you use?
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #3 
Flaretacious

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428

this person has a lot of helpful information about Live plants and how to take care of them and such, and how much lighting certain plants need and which plants to stay away from.
Flaretacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #4 
ALS1104

i have a smaller LED light on the 10 gal (need to get a bigger one), plus the light from the window next to them and the light in the room stays on during the day.... i use the aqueon plant food
Old 09-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #5 
ALS1104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaretacious View Post
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428

this person has a lot of helpful information about Live plants and how to take care of them and such, and how much lighting certain plants need and which plants to stay away from.
really liked that thread, thank you for posting!
im doing everything im supposed to according to that article though... im thinking about going with a different plant though. im not a fan of hornwarts anymore lol
Old 09-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #6 
Flaretacious

Your very welcome, I had started out when I had first gotten my aquarium I didn't want to have fake plants cause some fake plants can harm the betta's tail and fins. that's why I wanted Live plants, well lets just say I didn't have that much luck at first and plants began to die. then I came across that thread and read it and got tons of helpful info. " I will never again use Moneywort" had a bad experience and it seemed to make tank a little slimy..
Old 09-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #7 
ALS1104

i havent noticed any slime... but i do have to really rinse out my rocks to get all the shedded off leaves (or whatever they are) out... thats kinda annoying... i do like the way they look. and my fish seem to like swimming through the tall stalks of them growing up to the top but i like the looks of some of the other plants without all the extra work
Old 09-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #8 
Flaretacious

I hear yeah there, it sucks cause rinsing and making sure all the leaf's are out of the rocks, sometimes you can't get em all and you think you did and when you it in the tank then start adding water at the end when your all done and waiting for your water to be warmed up for your bettas you notice things floating and its small leaf particles "UGHH" well at least the net comes in handy for scooping up the floating leaf particles. Sometimes looks aren't what its about cause you just never know how much trouble it can cause yeah, or work.. :P
Old 09-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #9 
ALS1104

after about 3 hours of redoing the tanks and getting every last tiny piece out im glad to say im hornwart free! lol
Old 09-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #10 
Flaretacious

Glad you got it all out.. xD