Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #1 
BlackButterfly

Question Male CT keeps killing females!

Hello!
I'm new to the forum. I had 6 bettas 2 CT both males, 1 doble tail(M), 1 CT (F), and 2 VT both females. Issue is I'm trying to breed my CT male which is black and white, I named him Thor, but he keeps killing eeeevery female I introduce him to. I always do the introduction, wait for himto do the bubble nest, release her and withing a 7-8 hour period I find the females dead. Help!!!
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #2 
Creat

You should research more into breeding... you will find good information on how to read their body language and moods... and always keep an eye on your male especially if he is an aggressive one... and changing your spawning method would help also...
And welcome to the forum :)
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #3 
BlackButterfly

I've been reading, but nothing. I'm going to check on the behavior one, see if I find something. Females are always ready, but the male I do think is too aggresive, he has killed 2 females. After that I haven't set any other female. I've breed my other ones without a problem, its just him.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #4 
Creat

The male is obviously not ready to breed... how do you condition them?
Old 09-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #5 
BlackButterfly

I have a 10g thank with plants and a heather, no rocks. I usually leave the male there for 2-3 weeks, then place the female in an enclosure for 3 days, when I see the male has the nest and the female has the vertical lines I release her.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #6 
cajunamy
Banned

You shouldn't condtion your male in the spawning tank. This is probably why he's killing females, he's gotten too territorial of the tank. I would take him out, condition him and the female separately, then after a week or so you put them both in at the same time. But the female goes in a glass jar till they're ready.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #7 
Creat

I wouldn't let the male stay in there that long he may become to territorial try introducing the female and the male at the same time. It may be just that male and he needs to become less attached to his territory and he might be less aggressive. Also try planting the tank thicker to give the female more hiding spots. And by conditioning I mean what are you feeding them?
Old 09-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #8 
Bambi

it could be a territory thing, like they said. But he might just be to aggressive to breed(i have a female the same way). You need to watch them a little closer when you release the female. If he's being to aggressive you need to take her out or these things happen.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #9 
BlackButterfly

I'm going to do that, take him out and in a week or two introduce them at the same time. But I think is both, territorial and aggresive. He is always flashing at everything, and I mean ALWAYS! Doesn't matter in which tank I have him.
I condition them by giving them dried shrimp and blood worms, when I'm able to find live brine shrimp I feed them that too. The ones that I have just to show they get betta pellets that enhance color and 2-3 a week the dried shrimp and blood worms. Its that ok?
Thank you all for helping me! My first time joining a tread! :)
Old 09-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #10 
BlackButterfly

I'm going to do that, take him out and in a week or two introduce them at the same time. But I think is both, territorial and aggresive. He is always flashing at everything, and I mean ALWAYS! Doesn't matter in which tank I have him.
I condition them by giving them dried shrimp and blood worms, when I'm able to find live brine shrimp I feed them that too. The ones that I have just to show they get betta pellets that enhance color and 2-3 a week the dried shrimp and blood worms. Its that ok?
Thank you all for helping me! My first time joining a tread! :)

Tags
breeding male