Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #1 
Gloria

Question Help! First Time Breeding!

I am very new to this and I have done everything that I have read and been told. My male and female have not spawned. They chase each other then go to opposite ends of the tank. What should I do?
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:24 PM   #2 
Gloria

Please!! Someone Help me!!
Old 09-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #3 
MMAsac
Banned

If you cant figure it out, but with only 3 posts, I'd imagine you should do some searching, and not stress your fish for something that you are obviously clueless about. just my .02 cents
MMAsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:56 AM   #4 
Gloria

well that doesn't help, but thanks.
And i have been searching for about a month or so now on how to breed, but this is my first go, so yes i may be unsure if im doing it right or not
Old 09-22-2011, 05:25 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

They won't immediately spawn the minute you put them in/together. They go through a ritual prior to spawning which can take a few hours to a week depending on betta's "experience", size of tank and set up. Their resting on opposite sides is normal. Just let nature take its course.

As long as they are swimming in an "S" fashion, they will eventually spawn. There will be aggression, mainly by the male. That's normal too. Just make sure that the female isn't being too badly beaten.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:56 AM   #6 
Gloria

Well my male is actually really good, i am suprised, he hasn't bitten at her once, i don't really work so i have been able to watch them all day long and all he is is chase her and every now and then he'll just sit and look at her, but she swims away. They have been in together for 2 days now. Should i be putting the female in a container at night and when i go out and cannot watch them?
Old 09-22-2011, 05:56 AM   #7 
Mohan85

when you introduce them its best you let them be able to see each other but not come in contact with each other yet, its best you put her in a vase or breeders net inside the tank. Then you should wait 24 - 48(generally 48 hrs) hours before letting the female join the male.. and while you're waiting in those 2 days make sure you have something floating in your tank so your male can blow a bubble next.. a indian almond leaf, oak leaf or styrofoam... did you condition them good for 2 weeks? did your male make a bubblenest?

Last edited by Mohan85; 09-22-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Mohan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:58 AM   #8 
afishpond

ever one has hard time one time or aother try this take them apart put ifemale in a jar for about 3 days feed them good ,go out side fine some oak leaf a good hand full put in cooie filter make pot of oak tea add one and 3 pots of to spawn tank put male in it next place jar with female in it let set in tank for 1 day then let her out and all should be fine for you., good luck
afishpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:00 AM   #9 
Gloria

Thank you Mohan85... I conditioned them for a week and a half almost 2. I had Tiny (female) in a jar in the spawning tank with H (male) for 3 days before I let her out. I have 3 live plants and a cave, a heater, thermometer, a half styrofoam cup and bubble wrap in the tank. I have been told I should get almond leaves to place in there but cannot right now as the clost petshop/ aquarium shop is a 3hr drive away.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:01 AM   #10 
Gloria

Im a bit confused by what you have said but i think i interpreted enough to do it right. Thank you afishpond