Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #21 
vaygirl

No, they can reach 12 -15 inches. They absolutely don't stay small. And they need companions just like corys do, 4 to 5 others. You have to do your own research most of the time. The pet store guys don't always tell you what's right. They tell you what they need to in order to sell a fish. 6 ft tanks are recommended for them. I would see if you can return the loach when you get the other fish and maybe you can get credit? You'd save yourself some money that way.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #22 
hedgehog

BettaMiah the cories would be okay in a 29 gallon tank. C. aeneus don't get larger than 3 inches and even thats a bit of an overestimate. C. julii don't grow more than 2.5 inches. Many websites say that you can keep a small school of either species in a 10 gallon tank (ie 4 fish). I have four C. aeneus in my ten gallon and they are all happy and healthy and prove it by spawning quite regularly. Eight in a 29 gallon should be fine provided they have enough swimming space on the bottom and the tank has enough filtration to keep the water healthy and oxygenated with the other fish.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #23 
Pitluvs

OP, please don't return any fish, but work towards giving everyone their needs the best you can. I know you have girls payed for, is there anyways your parents would let you get a second hand 10g for them? Then you could get better groups in your 29g! But if you can't, work with what you have and find a way to get a second tank for your girls. Craigslist and local tropical clubs is a good start. Like you, I was given three types of fish when I started tanks and had to improvise. My guys are doing pretty good with their set ups. Mind you I had to set up a 10g to remove my Glowlight Tetras since the main tank scared them, now I have a gentle dwarf gourami in there with them. Work with your parents on a second tank, it will help you tons.

Last edited by Romad; 09-24-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #24 
Yaoilover12397

The second tank is not an option. The money isn't an issue. My parents jsut don't want anymore big tanks in my rooms and the only place they will let me put them in the basemeant which is under construction due to water damage.

My parents also refuse to get anything second hand or used.

So the only thing i can do is keep them in small groups for now.
I could have gotten a free 10 and a free 20L with stands on freecycle but my parents wouldn't let me.
Yaoilover12397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #25 
Pitluvs

Well your room will be done in January, upgrade or get another tank then!? I understand parents blocking the tank issue, my Mom would be the same way lol I have THREE danios that do well together in my 29g, every danio I bought they killed. I had to upgrade the 5g they came with to the 29g. Tis the life of fish, you gotta change things up to meet their needs. Hope you can find a good balance in your 29 :)
Old 09-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #26 
Yaoilover12397

I should be getting a 75 Gallon in January.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #27 
Pitluvs

O_o problem solved! Just divide the fin killers from the bettas in Jan, just watch them for now. Your 29g should be cycled by then, and you can use it to cycle the 75g in days. Awesome.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #28 
Yaoilover12397

Fin Killers? I've found if you have enough Glofish like bettas their isn't an issues with nipping and agression.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #29 
Pitluvs

My danios, which are the same fish, are not fin nippers but they are territorial. They claim the top of the tank as theirs. They are the sharks of my tank. Higher numbers may slow down boredom but they are still aggressive. You can try it, but watching my own tanks I would never put color fins with mine.

My phone has autocorrect, see my signature :)
Old 09-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #30 
Yaoilover12397

Mhm, I plan to split the 75 gallon into a 55 gallon and either 6 3.3 gallons or 8 2.5 gallons.