Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #1 
Bambi

10 itty bitty fry

A couple weeks ago i bred the male in my avatar(back when he was all white ><) to a blue vt girl.
The father was a fry eater for the most part but these 10 managed to make it to free swimming and are now going along just fine.

They've never had live food. Thus far they've lived on crushed pellets and flakes.
I don't normally raise them on just this as i usually have decap bse around,but i wanted to see how it'd work.

They're growth is a little behind, for lack of raw protein probably, but they are otherwise healthy little buggers.

They get 50% water changes every day(siphoned from the bottom with any gunk or leftover food). Once i get some money i'm going to go get some frozen baby brine shrimp from petsmart and try feeding that for hopefullya bit of a growth boost.

(I've never hatched my own brine shrimp and before i spend 36+shipping i want to try hatching them. so if anyone has some brine shrimp eggs, and they'd be willing to maybe send me a tea spoon or two,i'd love so send you a $1 to cover the cost. ><)

I can't take any pictures untill they're big enough to catch on my cell phone or this place would be flooded xD

What i'm expecting from this spawn:
-vailtails with PK geno
-partial dragon/dragon geno
-marbles and multi's of mostly the light body sort

I'm going to take the best female and spawn her to her father and then maybe so a brother/sister spawn if i get a decent male.

both of these crosses should give me PK fry in f2 generation.
From there i want to introduce a white OHM or OHMpk if i can fine one fore sale at that time, to add better finage and more white genes..

This is a line i plan to work on for a while. I want to get some semi-true breeding white dragons.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:58 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sounds good. Good luck.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:24 AM   #3 
Pitluvs

You can get brine shrimp eggs from the UK for super cheap with a few dollars shipping. I think it was $15 for more eggs than I'll use. Are you in USA? There is also fishguy on Aquabid that sells packages for cheap with really low shipping. Pet stores usually have small files of it by the fish food too.

Congrats on your spawn!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:57 AM   #4 
Bambi

I plan to buy them from here when i get more decap eggs: http://www.kensfish.com/kens-specialty-food.html

it just i don't want to spend money on it plus shipping if it turns out to be something i don't like to use.>_< I know from experience that the decaps work for me and they're $8 for HALF A POUND instead of 3oz here or 5oz there.

And yes i'min the USA xD
Old 09-25-2011, 03:07 AM   #5 
Pitluvs

I know local breeders who use decap eggs only for their bettas. Wish you were closer, I'd split my big bad of bbs eggs with ya!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #6 
Creat

Good luck on raising the little buggers :) hope everything goes well!
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #7 
BettaHeart

congrats on the babies! i have a spawn as well from my black red dragon male and yellow female, i have decap shrimp and golden pearls but dont know how to use them lol do i just sprinkle it into the tank? or? hahaha i would appreciate the help.

Again congrats anticipating the pictures
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #8 
Bambi

Betta heart. A little goes along way with decaps. I used to take a small pinch and, yes, sprinkle them into the tank with no issues. Haven't tried golden pearls yet. though.

Pitluvs aww it's the thought that counts <3 haha i wish lived closer too. xD

Creat- Thank you :)
Old 09-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #9 
Bambi

Found my first dead fry yesterday after my dad knocked a bunch of god-knows-what into my fry tank. I scooped it out and did two large water changes. So far no more dead fry today but the water is all cloudy and no matter how much water i change it doesn't get any clearer.

So i'm thinking of moving them to the 20gallon i was going to use for a sorority for now. I'm going to do 2 more water changes and if i don't see improvement i'll move the heater to the 20gallon and transfer them once the temp goes up a bit.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #10 
Creat

What kind of cloudy? like white cloudy? or what? hopefully the tank isnt cycling I wouldnt move them to such a larger tank the larger the tank the harder it is for them to find food.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote