Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #1 
TielBird101

Exclamation Critter Keeper questions

Someone told that a heater would melt the plastic on a critter keeper. Is this true? If it is I'll have to check out some more pet stores around town to see if they have something better.
TielBird101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

If you're using a heater appropriate for the kritter keeper's size, the plastic will not melt.

On the lid there's a sticky that says room for an air hose and I think perfect for reptiles, so obviously some sort of heat was taken into account.

I think the plastic is tough enough to withstand a heater. The betta cups can withstand boiling hot water, so I think a kritter keeper can handle a heater.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #3 
Micho

I believe Critter Keepers are made out of acrylic plastic? So basically that means they won't melt from the heat produced by the heater I believe, the only trouble you'll find with them is that they morph shape from time to time, but seeing how you'll only a Betta in there it wouldn't be much trouble.

One thing to watch out for is that they scratch easily if you're cleaning them, sometimes after awhile cracks will form but I don't think leaks will happen, if a leak does happen (and it might) have a backup home for your Betta.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #4 
TielBird101

Phew! Thanks so much, Pataflafla! It got me kinda worked up there when I thought I'd have to go through ALL these stores again looking for cheap appropriate home for a betta. XD
Old 09-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #5 
TielBird101

Okay! Thanks, Micho!
Old 09-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

The glass on the heater shouldn't touch the walls of the tank or the critter keeper. The suction cups usually hold the heater far away from the sides so that It shouldn't be an issue. I use glass heaters in both of my critter keepers with no issues.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #7 
TielBird101

Cool! Thanks, Littlebittyfish! It helps a lot when I'm talking to people who have experienced it before. :)
Old 10-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I use heaters in my critter keepers and I've never had a problem with melying.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote