Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #11 
BettaMiah

For how much?

Oh- side note for those who now want shrimp!

They NEED- I repeat- NEED a sponge filter. I mean, true, these little babies have literally no bioload and are very small, but, they are very sensitive to ammonia and nitrate. So better safe them sorry! I also recommend a heater.

But I only do a little gravel vac every week.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #12 
elijahfeathers

I've had ghost shrimp in my main tanks before with the bettas. Had being the keyword there. xD; I do like them quite a lot it's just... they never seem to last long before they turn into snacks. A few days of peace.. then someone realize they can chase them. And then everyone is gone. xDDDD

Also I get my marimos from petsmart. $8 a pop but they sell them in their own little cups, just like the bettas-- and it's nice not to worry about them carrying anything bad into my tank from it.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #13 
BettaMiah

Yeah. I know. Same here... Ugherf.

Can you give me more info on this mansion thing? What is it? Do you just dump a ton of Marimo in there?
Old 09-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #14 
elijahfeathers

I was thinking two or three and a bubbler that would help them rotate in a current like they're supposed to naturally. but idk if that would actually be any good for the shrimp.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #15 
metalbetta

I keep my nail polish in one of my old quarantine tanks, and I use a fishbowl to carry water from the sink to the tanks. More practical uses, I know, buuut I haven't been feeling too creative as of late. Lol
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #16 
BettaMiah

Uhm, I think that would be okay with 2 or 3 Shrimpies. But maybe not ideal? It would be kind of, you know, cramped.

Oh, and I dun think the bubbler will help them like roll around, you know? Since its such a small space.

OMGHE. What if it crushed a ghostie. O.e
Old 09-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #17 
Kytkattin

I was under the impression that many types of shrimp do okay in water temps as low as 55 degrees Fahrenheit. That is why I thought they would do particularly well in a small tank.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #18 
BettaMiah

No, they can SURVIVE in that cold, but wouldn't be able to live in it long term and would never thrive.

The reason is because they are so small, and they have little no no bioload. You could have thousands in a 10 gallon and still have great water quality.

Not saying to go do that, they need room to swim, but that was just to make a point. Lol.

:DDDDDDD

I LOVE SHRIMPEH!
Old 09-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #19 
Kytkattin

Well obviously I don't keep my room at 55, so what about the low 70s? The reason I ask is because I know moss balls like cooler water, which would be the main reason I would want to set up a tank. And what species are we talking? There are some shrimp that live in the arctic ocean, so I am guessing there is going to be a huge range in tolerable temps.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #20 
BettaMiah

We are talking freshwater Ghost Shrimp.

Yes, they could thrive in 70 degrees. They don't need a filter.