Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #1 
ksage505

First Spawning Attempt!

I've decide to try giving spawning a go after tons of researching and a lot of debating. I just introduced my bettas, Frsico, a male crowntail and Slug, a veiltail female. Yes, I know, messy combtails, I really don't mind if that's how the fry end up (if the spawn is a success). I don't intend to sell, I'll be keeping some and the rest will be going to friends and family. I have them in my 20 gallon. Going to be adding in more plants and such, seems like I already put in a ton but the 20 has a lot of room. Sadly, no live plants, just silk and plastic. There is only one pet store around where I live so the only way for me to get them would be ordering some. Frisco has been checking out the tank and dancing around Slug's jar.

Last edited by ksage505; 09-24-2011 at 04:50 PM.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #2 
copperarabian

that's awesome, Do you have any closer photo's of the fish :D
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #3 
ksage505

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
that's awesome, Do you have any closer photo's of the fish :D
Tried to get some in the tank.. Sorry its not the best, a little blurry. Frisco won't be still for two seconds. The male is mostly a purple/blue color with red in his fins. The female's upper body is white then goes into blue and her fins are blue and tipped with pink.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #4 
Bambi

I would lower the water a bit. When there are eggs and babies the male will be doing alot of picking up and putting them back in the next and shallow water works better for this. Also, to deep of water will crush the babies(like a full tank,not sure exactly where to much is to much though).

Good luck :) lovely tank.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #5 
ksage505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
I would lower the water a bit. When there are eggs and babies the male will be doing alot of picking up and putting them back in the next and shallow water works better for this. Also, to deep of water will crush the babies(like a full tank,not sure exactly where to much is to much though).

Good luck :) lovely tank.
Thanks, will do!
Old 09-25-2011, 12:57 AM   #6 
Gloria

So exciting.. Hope it all works out. I have just made a spawn log too, although I would be attempting it for another 2 weeks..
:)
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:01 AM   #7 
Pitluvs

Your female is beautiful.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:21 AM   #8 
Ritingyou

Beautiful pair! Hope all goes well and good luck! Will be following along to see how it goes :)
Ritingyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #9 
ksage505

Thanks everyone! So far, just a tiny bubble nest and then a few scattered bubbles under the plastic lid. My male still seems more interested in showing off to the female than working on a nest. For the first few hours she was flaring back at him now shes just following him around her jar. I'm not sure if I will be able to see stripes on her, she is very light... She looks darker in the picture than she really is. The blue on her body is more scattered than solid.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #10 
Creat

I have never heard about deep water crushing fry.... but oh well ... the reason I keep the water level at about 4-5 inches is so the male doesnt have to work so hard to get the eggs and fry if they fall. Plus it means I have more water I can add instead of doing a water change for the first week there abouts. I am excited to see the fry. I swear she doesnt look all vt so you actually might get some nice fry from them :)
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote