Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #11 
ksage505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
I have never heard about deep water crushing fry.... but oh well ... the reason I keep the water level at about 4-5 inches is so the male doesnt have to work so hard to get the eggs and fry if they fall. Plus it means I have more water I can add instead of doing a water change for the first week there abouts. I am excited to see the fry. I swear she doesnt look all vt so you actually might get some nice fry from them :)
I lowered it down to where her jar touches the bottom and the water just comes up to the bottom of the lid. I was thinking the same thing with just adding water, if this works out I'm going to be so afraid of doing water changes for the first couple weeks with the fry being so tiny :S I agree.. her cup wasn't marked when I got her.

Last edited by ksage505; 09-25-2011 at 12:27 PM.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #12 
ksage505

Here is a better picture of the female's colors. Do you guys think she will show stripes with being light colored?

The male is getting more focused on the nest now! He blows a few bubbles under the plastic lid, runs over to dance around in front of the female some more, then back to blowing bubbles.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #13 
Creat

It sounds like the male is becoming more focused on his job best of luck :) and sometimes light females wont so you will mostly have to rely on body language from her to know if she is ready.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #14 
Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
I have never heard about deep water crushing fry.... but oh well ... the reason I keep the water level at about 4-5 inches is so the male doesnt have to work so hard to get the eggs and fry if they fall. Plus it means I have more water I can add instead of doing a water change for the first week there abouts. I am excited to see the fry. I swear she doesnt look all vt so you actually might get some nice fry from them :)
I was talking to someone at petsmart whilelook at the dragons and when my dad told them i breed them they were like"oh, i have too. Got to the point of having fry and everything. But i used a full tank and it crushed them"

I don't know what size tank they used, which is why is aid i didn't know how much was too much xD
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #15 
Bambi

She has some darker color on her body. the light ones that don't show are usually the Cambodians with no body color or marbles that haven't colored their front half.

If you look closely you should be able to see the breeding stripes, however if everything elks is going right and she seems ready to fallow the male to the nest then it should be ok to release her whenever he's ready
Old 09-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #16 
Creat

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say water cant crush fry... maybe if you had a tank more then 12 feet deep the water pressure would build up, but still its why they stay near the surface. They can feel the pressure from their lateral line probably and when they feel a slight change they go back to where they should be.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #17 
ksage505

I agree with Creat. As long as they can swim, I doubt their sensory organs would let them stay at such a depth that they would be crushed.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #18 
ksage505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
She has some darker color on her body. the light ones that don't show are usually the Cambodians with no body color or marbles that haven't colored their front half.

If you look closely you should be able to see the breeding stripes, however if everything elks is going right and she seems ready to fallow the male to the nest then it should be ok to release her whenever he's ready
Thanks, so far I can't really see any stripes. From what I've read, her behavior is in check so far. She has not once acted afraid of him that I have seen. When I first introduced them for the first few hours she flared right back at him and chased him around the jar. Now she isn't flaring but watches and follows him around. I have seen her swim downward at an angle, but whether shes actually being submissive or just doing her own thing I don't know. I'm just going by everything I've read as I've never seen the whole process before. The male seems to be doing great. Hes really working hard on his nest now. Yesterday he only seemed interested in showing off to her but now hes blowing bubbles like crazy. He goes back and forth from checking on her to tending to the nest. I think once he has a nice nest built up I'll try releasing her.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #19 
Bambi

They can't swim at first though, that's why we leave the father to take them back to the nest?o.O
Old 09-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #20 
ksage505

Just introduced them... Firsco nipped her tail to start off. Now shes hiding and hes going back and forth from following her around to checking on the nest. She swims away when he follows her but as soon as he leaves she comes out and sneaks up to him then darts back off into hiding.

Ahhh this nerve wracking... afraid to take my eyes off them.

Last edited by ksage505; 09-25-2011 at 02:26 PM.