Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #11 
phoenix91

I could do that, maybe advertise that i'm looking and see who has any for sale. Good idea.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #12 
phoenix91

So lets just say the sorority idea is put to one side for now while i look for females.

What other fish would be compatible with my female?
Old 09-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #13 
Silverfang

cory cats work well, they're bottom dwellers, only thing is they do better in shoals or groups of 5-6. They also need substrate that isn't rough, or it can wear down their barbels, and they don't grow back sadly.
Neon tetras work, but again schooling fish, 5-6 of them. I think some of the plain guppies might work, or platties.
Not sure what else to suggest.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #14 
phoenix91

Well with the 1 female i could probably do a school of 5 other fish in a 20 g. What about rasboras? would they maybe get too big?

My substrate is unfortunately stones mixed with sand, so probably a bit sharp for cory cats.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #15 
coolcucumber

I have a 23gal long, and there are 2 female bettas, black phantom tetras, and an angel. They all live together happily, and they have been together for over a year. I have heard that you should get more then 2, but for me these 2 girls are doing very well (:
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #16 
Tikibirds

I have a 20 long but I added all 8 females at once..well not all at the same moment. I spread it out over like 40 minutes. But I had the females in different tanks already but they werent heated. With winter (which temp wise is already here) and living in alaska, I wanted them in a heated tank ASAP.

I need to redo it so I can add the newest girl and I am not looking forward to emptying and refilling a 20 gallon. Syphon wont work cause its on the floor
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #17 
Pitluvs

Harlequin Rasboras are a very docile fish that needs groups of 5-6. They are fast but not aggressive. I am sure of your girl is polite with them, they would work. Personally I'd do a group of 8 in a 20g plus your female.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #18 
phoenix91

Well my poor DP had to be put down, i felt so bad doing it but it was to save him suffering in the end. His brother is missing him terribly and is darting about the tank like a fish possessed, i'm hoping a move to a new tank might settle him down.

I went to the petstore to upgrade the lighting in the 20 g, i got a really nice LED system which clips to the top of the tank for the benefit of the plants.

While i was there i took a stroll down the fish wall to see what caught my fancy. When looking for fish to go with my female should i try and keep colours the same/muted? I don't particularly want her to think they're bother betta fish right? i want her to be as docile as she can be. I noticed the guppies have floaty tails (only small ones) so is that something i need to think about.

Sorry for all the questions, i don't want to get this wrong and end up losing more fish.