Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #1 
CoverMeInClay

I feel like I'm a betta girl killer *sobs*

I've now lost my third girl...
I noticed last night that her breathing seemed a bit more labored then the others, I looked things up and based on her not having other symptoms thought well, maybe she's a tad consipated or something. So I figured if she seemed that way in the morning I would take her out and put her into QT. This morning I was looking for her and could not find her. My BF helped me and spotted her. Sadly, she was gone. Not only that, her belly where her eggs were had be eaten by someone else.
No I have another girl who has somewhat labored breathing, she's not being as confrontational as she tends to be, so I figure something might be wrong. I just took her out and have her floating to adjust to a QT tank. In the tank all I've put is a bit f an almond leaf to help sooth her once she is in it.

Housing
What size is your tank? 20 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80 F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? not at the moment since it is staying at a stead 80 F
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 6 other female betta

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Wardley Betta pellets and freeze dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Morning and evening with the pellets (about 3-4 at a time per girl), once a week with the blood worms

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20-25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Jungle brand Complete water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I tested last night, I am doing another test right now and if the numbers are any different I will post them.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 (no it is not a heavily planted tank)
pH: 7.8
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? She appears to be breathing more heavily, gills moving more quickly and she keeps her mouth open
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not as dominant as she tends to be, not a huge difference, but enough to notice through observation
When did you start noticing the symptoms? When I got home this afternoon
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? So far I am only at the stage of floating her in a Heated QT tank with a bit of Almond Leaf
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not this one, but I had one that pine cones and died last week :(
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'd guess 8 months, I've had her for 2

Please, if there is anything you can think might be wrong with her. I can't loose another girl. I'm wondering if I shouldn't separate them all into divide tanks. I just can't think what would be causing this.
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #2 
SassyBetta

im confused, you give each girl 4 pellets morning and night? if so thats a total of 8 pellets a day. thats a lot of food. i wouldnt feed them more than 3 pellets total a day with maybe a lil blood worm chopped up as a nighttime snack, thats what i do with my boys.
SassyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote