Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #1 
leverett

new half moon floating!!!

i bought a half moon on friday he was doing fine and last night i saw him at the top of the water i figured he was geting air woke up this morning and he was still at the top i know he doesnt have air in him cuz he sat at the bottom of the tank before i went to work i just got home from work and he is still floating at the top of the water is he sick it doesnt look like he ate this morning is there a possibility hes just lazy ?
leverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #2 
betaguy

he sounds lathargic, does your tank have a heater and white size is it?
betaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #3 
cajunamy
Banned

floating side ways or just hanging out at the top?
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #4 
Myates

Welcome to the forum, sorry your little guy is worrying you.
What size is your tank?
Since he is brand new, have you done a water change since you got him?
Are you using water conditioner?
Do you have a heater and what is the temp?
What are you feeding him and how much/often?
Have you tested the water, if so what are the results?
Do you have enough plants/caves in there as well?

Are there any other signs that he is sick?
IE: Clamped up fins, loss of color, belly protruding, anything visible on him such as white specs that look like salt grains, or fungus?

Bettas breathe out of a labyrinth, so he may just be hanging out up there. They go all around, lay all around.. they have unique individual personalities and some will stay towards the top more, while others may like to hide. He may also be cold if the water is too cold.. they are tropical and 78-82 is what is recommended. They can become lethargic in colder water.
As far as not eating, it can take a week or more for them to get comfortable eating and on a schedule after moving to a new home.

I'm sorry I can't offer more without knowing more of your tank set up. Answering those questions above will help us determine whether he is just adjusting to his new home, or is something is missing from the tank that is needed.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #5 
leverett

ok the tank is a 1 gallon bowl so no heater he nibbled a bit when i fed him just now. he is floating strait up fins arnt clamped he is all white but no visible spots i have not done a water change because the water is still crystal clear i have a cave type thing in the tank its in a corner he was hiding fine im feeding him blood worms, daphnia, and mysis. the food is all freeze dryed and zoomed brand im using a water conditioner from jungle or something like that. i have my other betta (buzz) next to him and buzz if fine and very energetic only difference is buzz has a light.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #6 
leverett

ok i just took water temps for both tanks buzz's tank with only a light and bubbler is 75-77 the half mon thas has no name yet is 72 at the lowest
Old 10-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #7 
Kytkattin

72 is much too cold. They both need to be 78-80 for their health. Try to get heaters as soon as possible.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #8 
Ajones108

Quote:
i have not done a water change because the water is still crystal clear
Woah! Calling this one out. :) Just because the water is clear doesn't mean the water is safe! There can be plenty of dissolved ammonia and other fish waste in the water that you cannot see. In a bowl that size, to keep toxic ammonia from building up, you are going to need to do a 100% water change every other day with a good water conditioner like Prime.

Also, at your local pet store (LPS) you should be able to find a small "betta heater" suited for a 1g bowl for around $12 (if you're in America.)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #9 
Myates

ok the tank is a 1 gallon bowl so no heater
With winter looming over us, you will need to get a heater. A 15-25 watt would work. 78-82 is what you are aiming for. Cold water will cause lethargy and lowered immunity. Also could be a reason for not eating as well.You can heat a 1 gallon.
he is floating strait up fins arnt clamped he is all white but no visible spots
Could be a number of things that make him go straight up and down. Right now I'm inclined to say cold water + ammonia.
i have not done a water change because the water is still crystal clear
Water color is not an indication of clean water. Ammonia, nitrates/ites, etc build up from waste, uneaten food, and just them using their gills. in a 1 gallon, it is highly recommended to do 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week. Doing more then that can result in lowered immunity since the fish doesn't get time to build up the proper immunity to the bacteria that grows in there, along with stress, etc. (There is a lot more in depth reasons with science behind it.. but I'm tired, it's early so will just make it simple lol)
i have a cave type thing in the tank its in a corner he was hiding fine
Okay, that and a plant should be ok in a 1 gallon.
im feeding him blood worms, daphnia, and mysis. the food is all freeze dryed and zoomed brand
Feeding freeze dried food on a regular basis is something most will tell you is not ideal. Freeze dried has a lot of crude protein, but it lacks in other nutrients that is needed that other foods such as pellets provide. Freeze dried is more for a treat once or twice a week. When you do feed it, make sure that you soak it in some tank water before giving it to them. Their stomachs are about the size of their eyes, and when moisture hits freeze dried it will expand and has potential to cause a lot of bloating and pain. So best to feed as a treat now and again, soaked. Pellets are what you are wanting to feed them on a regular basis as a staple. Should be feeding 4-6 pellets total throughout the day, in 2-3 meals. For FD, I would do 1-2 2x a day until you get pellets.
im using a water conditioner from jungle or something like that. i have my other betta (buzz) next to him and buzz if fine and very energetic only difference is buzz has a light.
The light won't make a big difference, but each fish are unique and react differently to their environment. Where one can tolerate a little more ammonia/cold, another can't.

Your shopping list should include 2 heaters up to 25watt, and pellet food.
Feed 2-3 times a day, small amounts, with 1 50% and 1 100% water change, and temps 78-82 (76 being the lowest you would want).
And with that, your guys should be healthy and happy. Wish you the best and luck, let us know if anything changes with him.
But for now, do a 100% water change on him, use a little warmer water and make sure to acclimate him to it by floating it in his cup for 15-30 minutes. Should help him some.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote