Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Maine jumped the divider O_O

I have my 10 gallon divided, the water level about 2.5 inches lower than the top of the divider... My 2.5 year old Spartan, on one side and Maine, my younger guy on the other. Maine finished his job as a dad, from the spawn tank so I put him in there. They were fine, no breaching the walls, nothing. Today, getting ready for work, I look in the tank and both are minding their own business on their own sides, then I pick something up, look back, and MAIN IS ON SPARTAN'S SIDE!!!!

Poor Spartan was trying to avoid the confrontation! I didn't have a net at a quick reach and I wasn't about to rummage for one while my two males were face to face! So I used my hand and divided them, herding Maine back to his side by lifting the divider... Luckily no one got hurt, or even nipped.

My hand was still in there after I fixed the divider back to it's spot, and Spartan comes along and nestles himself in my hand (nyawwww). He's definitely my little boy
I'd feel bad for leaving him in that tank with Maine... So I moved Maine to my extra 3 gallon tank, not taking chances.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #2 
Myates

Aww poor Spartan. Looks like Maine still had some testosterone running through him after the spawn and saw Spartan as a threat. Just give him a few days and hopefully he will settle down enough to go back into his home. Glad you were able to stop it before anyone got hurt!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

So was I D: oh I'd feel so bad for my poor boy getting hurt!!! Spartan and Colors get along nicely... But I've noticed Maine is a bit of a problem. I hope he settles down! I don't have a heater for the 3 gallon, but the temperature will stay at 23 degrees Celsius anyways. It was just shocking to look back a few seconds later and see both males on one side x.x

It nearly gave me a heart attack... especially when Maine is younger than Spartan by at least a good year and a half.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 09-30-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:13 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

That really is a shocking sight to see! It has happened to me before...Do you have a T on top of the divider? That has helped a bunch with my divided tanks..No way for them to jump over if you get a piece of plastic canvas and T the divider at the top.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

^^^+1 This is what I did to mine...

Glad everyone is ok! How scary.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #6 
aquaman17

SOMEONE goes all out for their fish ^^. lol im just kidding, thats a good thing.
aquaman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

Haha it was left over pieces and I keep hearing about jumpers, so I improvised!
Old 09-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #8 
aquaman17

sort of a thought that may influence you to improve it unless i cant tell what is actually looks like. perhaps angle those strips upward, because if they were to take a gander and jump when your not home to save them, could they get stuck on that level surface?
aquaman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:37 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Hmmm good ideas! and good improvement tips :) I know my Madame loves being in the company of my Spartan so a divider is unlikely unless I make it 4 inches minimal high, with like aquaman said... angled. I want to remove her from the sorority because she's a high -insert word- to everyone LOL.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

Good idea, I'll silicone some extra strips on each side pointing up. Kinda like a box. These two have been side by side for a while and my least aggressive with males bettas so I figure they were safe. Can't be too careful, thanks!