Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #1 
Anitax3x

Question how does this sound?

Right now I have my 20 gal set up, very well planted,(all fake one 3 bamboo swirl thats real). I realize the leaves have to reach out of the water and some do. I have 4 platies and 3 albino corydoras.Also the filter is baffled using sponge and water bottle. I just added my CT male Caspian, Who is super laid back and my least aggressive towards other fish betta. He is a strong swimmer and has been acting normal. He tends to float when he sleeps same as usual, investigating the tank rather than staying in one corner, and he only flares when one of the platies gets curious and gets in his face.But then they back off and he goes about his business. I just did a huge water change because the water was RIDICULOUSLY cloudy since I started the tank and it wasnt clearing up like ppl said it would so He's got minor stress bars bc of that, otherwise he seems ok. I also added some ghost shrimp for live food which I intend to keep adding in. Also it's heated with a big driftwood, Caspian's fav floating betta log, and lots of fake plants. Any suggestions please let me know. Also if the water is tinted, I use Tannins in the water so thats why.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #2 
Anitax3x

BTW here is a picture
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #3 
iloveengl

Very colorful tank! Lots of fun! And you have it planted well with plenty of hidey holes.

Is there a way you can raise the bamboo so that only a bit of the stem is in the water? I hear they rot if they're completely submerged.

The cloudiness is likely just a bacterial bloom that is very common in newly cycling tanks. The water change is just fine.

I was always bad at Where's Waldo. Can someone point out if there's anyone in there besides the platy I can spot in the top right corner. I don't want to miss out on anyone just because I stink at spotting fish in pictures.
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #4 
hedgehog

Just so you know cories really prefer to be kept in groups of at least 4 of the same species. It really makes them more comfortable. In a 20 gallon you could certainly add a few more. If they're C. aeneus albino cories you could even get the bronze or green variations of the species and they'll still all school together.

Last edited by hedgehog; 09-25-2011 at 09:44 PM. Reason: formatting fail
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #5 
Anitax3x

@iloveengl : I moved it up a tad bit more but the bamboo is too short , the top leaves make it out to the top where my hood is so you can't really see. And its funny when I try and take pictures my fish arent in the middle. but if I open the hood, they come up lol (they know when I feed them) that one platy had just come out of a spot.

@hedgehog I know about the cories I just wanted to wait until I added more fish so that I could make sure my betta male does well. I'd like to get some of the green ones I didnt know they would still school together.

I'm really excited, my male isnt hiding in a corner or anything , he's sleeping in his log at the moment. thats the one thing he is protective of. The other fish investigate him but tend to stay out of his way. I am keeping them under observation for the next week or so. I am really interested in finding a male betta from AB so if this works out then I'll start looking. I'm leaning towards hmpk dragon.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #6 
Anitax3x

and the water was ALOT worse before I did the like 60% water change. You couldnt even see the back plants it was like a blurry outline of a plant . I know its normal but it was just so annoying I had to do the water change. I'm happy with my set up just wanna make sure I'm going about it right. Surprisingly my male isnt stressed. He is acting like he did in my divided, ignoring everyone and just doing what he wants to do. He only flares when he has to and he doesnt chase my other fish, I think he hunted a shrimp down though, he was nipping at something on the bottom earlier and it wasnt any of my tankmate fish lol.