Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #1 
Ritingyou

Fry tank cleaning...

So it's my second time trying with a successful spawn. Same pair and all, and better since I got to watch them as the eggs fell unlike last time :) But this time I also have 3 mystery snails that are pooping like crazy..

So I am wondering how do others clean the fry tank? I heard most use a turkey baster to suck it up but do you add that same amount of water back in there? Or is there some secrete to it?
Ritingyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:29 AM   #2 
MrVampire181

I just scoop water out with a clear jar and check for fry. then I just pour in the clean water slowly.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:32 AM   #3 
Gloria

I am about to do my first attempt in 2 weeks. Thank you for posting this, it was on my to-do list :)
Congrats on your spawns.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:33 AM   #4 
Ritingyou

By slowly do you mean like so it doesnt distrubt the water (or fry for that matter) a lot? Or do you mean like very small amounts?

Sorry I'm just being cautious, dont want to lose this spawn like I did the last. (although im pretty sure it was that one misqueto larva that did it....... <_<)
Old 09-25-2011, 12:40 AM   #5 
MrVampire181

I just gently pour...there is some disturbance but its not too bad. also I'm changing 90% of their water everyday for three weeks. then in the 30 gallon growouts its 50% to 75% every other day.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:47 AM   #6 
Ritingyou

You do 90% when they are newborn fry? I thought it was to dangerous to do a lot of water changes at that young of age.. I must be wrong, I have to admit that makes me feel a little better :)

Glad the info we get on here from others will help you as well Gloria :) Congrats on yours as well! Let me know how yours go.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:50 AM   #7 
MrVampire181

yup. I fill the tank up when I remove dad and then I start water changes the next day.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:50 AM   #8 
Gloria

Thank you Ritingyou. This website is awsome, its been so helpful. The people on here are great, I live in Australia so some of the things that are suggested I can't do but it still help ALOT...
I have just made a log, if you wish to follow it :)
Old 09-25-2011, 01:03 AM   #9 
Ritingyou

Thanks MrVampire :) I've been so worried that the water changes would accidently cause the fry to die but I wont worry any more about it now :) Especally since I love doing water changes (and so do my cats lol! They like playing with the dirty fish water that I leave in a bucket in the tub for them haha) so I think ill do what you do.

Gloria your right this website is awesome :) and addicting! It's the first site I go to when I get onto the computer and it's the last one I am on before I get off the computer lol! I will be following along with yours as well :)
Old 09-25-2011, 01:04 AM   #10 
Gloria

lol.. Yep I can definetly agree to the Ritingyou. Ive only been signed up a few days and have been on here 24/7