Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2011, 02:01 AM   #21 
Bambi

I use a siphon, but in the past i've used a turkey baster. I add back just a little more water then i take out.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:03 AM   #22 
Ritingyou

I know that last time after the fry were free swimming Drake (the daddy) didnt really bother with the fry anymore because they kept swimming out of the nest so I went ahead and took him out.

I'll have to see what others say before I decide what to do about the water.. I mean it worked for MrVampire.. so I dont see why the water would be a problem.. yet just because I read it, I get paranoid about it :/

I was thinking about using a turkey baster to get it out.. just curious but how much water do you use in the fry tank bambi?
Ritingyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:04 AM   #23 
Gloria

When is it best to start cleaning the tank anyway? They hatch around day 2? So when is it ok to start taking out dirty water? And adding new?
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #24 
MrVampire181

for your first time go with smaller water changes more often. my method is just super fast for me haha.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #25 
Ritingyou

MrVampire, just curious but do you have the water adjust to the temp in the tank before actually putting it in? Or would that not affect the temp (and the fry)?

My water gets a little cold without the heater. So it would be a bit of a change when I do water changes.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #26 
animallover4lyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritingyou View Post
MrVampire, just curious but do you have the water adjust to the temp in the tank before actually putting it in? Or would that not affect the temp (and the fry)?

My water gets a little cold without the heater. So it would be a bit of a change when I do water changes.
What i did with my fry(who are now almost 6 weeks old) i left the water alone until they were 2 weeks old, all i did was take some of the water and checked the levels (nitrate,etc) at my work (pet store). Once they were two weeks i started taking about a bucketful of water out (50%) using a Syphon. Its almosy impossible not to suck the babies out so dont worry! I would take the water from the bucket out cup by cup to make sure i didnt dump any babies! Then it is VERY important you try to match up the same temperatures!!! So i run my water put a thermometer under it and just figure out the same temp as in the tank. Then i put water conditioner in let it sit for a couple mins and then cup by cup i put new water in the tank. Its a bit harsh because of the waterflow from the cup but the fry are ok only takes less than 2 mins, worked for me. Just try to make sure your room is fairly warm when u open your tank lid otherwise people have suggested other ways where you wrap your tank and poke holes for the syphon so you dont let any cold air in the tank and possibly kill the fry
animallover4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #27 
animallover4lyfe

I was doing water changes i think every other day or so (depending on what your feeding and how often) but once they were 3-4 weeks i started doing water changes everyday. Now i feed about 5 times a day and change their water everyday in a 10 gallon. Im putting them in a 20 gallon long in a couple days :)
Old 09-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #28 
Gloria

When you say you feed them 3-4 times a day. Is this throughout the 24hours of the entire day? Or just the 12ish hours you are awake?
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #29 
Ritingyou

Thanks! I'll make sure to remember to do that when its time to do a water change. (Which will be in about 2 days.. yikes!) But I will probably get stuck using a turkey baster to get everything off the bottom then a cup to get extra floating dirty water out. Just to be on the safe side :)

It will be a bit tricky getting the same water temperature.... guess I'll have to mess around with the hot and cold water.. hmmmmm
Old 09-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #30 
animallover4lyfe

Nope just the hours im awake. It depeds on your fry though, i got to know what mine are like, what they like to eat the most, etc! What i usually do is feed smaller amounts if they eat it i give a little more. But i also do water changes everyday so nothing spoils in the tank. I also drop 1/4 of a cube of frozen baby brine shrimp or what im feeding now frozen daphnia in before i go to sleep, that way they can snack throughout the night.