Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #1 
coolcucumber

Problem with keeping my betta

Hello everyone (:

I have decided that i have too many fish tanks, and i am going to downsize to one 10g and one 5g. in the 5g i have one little betta, and he has it all to himself. in the 10 i have 2 female bettas who have been living together for over a year with no problems, and some tetras. But i have one more 5g i dont have room for, with a betta in it. I am having trouble deciding that to do with him - if i kept him, i would have to keep him in a bowl, and i dont think he would be happy in it. But if i gave him to someone else, i fear he would be kept in terrible conditions.. and that the bowl would be a better environment for him. any suggestions for this predicament?

Thank you in advance!
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

You could divide the 5 gallon you are keeping.

A bowl might be more stressful to him if he was used to swimming around more since it will seem cramped. A bowl is also harder to heat than a 5 gallon would be, so it's easier in that sense too.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #3 
coolcucumber

I thought of that, but the last time i divided the 5 gallon both of the fish were stressed, so i went and bought this 5gal.. And i heard that 5gallons is the minimum size for a tank for a betta? Im not sure. and all my worrying may be for nothing, he may have a much better life with someone else.

theres so much i have to factor in :$
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

2.5 is technically the minimum for a betta to survive. They can do well in smaller, but they won't thrive.

Bettas in a divided tank will stress for a little while, but they'll learn they cannot get to each other soon enough. you could also use any plants from the 5 gallon you won't be using to block the divider a little more too.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:32 AM   #5 
Myates

It's all an individual's opinion on tank sizes. Many thrive and are healthy and live many years in a 1 gal. It's what you prefer, what you are able to do in the way of water changes (the smaller the tank, the more often you have to do it). But it won't kill, nor harm the fish if it is housed in a 1-2 gallon with the right care.
I would try dividing the 5 gallon with them again, sometimes it takes a few days for them to adjust. Otherwise, I'd find something that you are able to keep. A 1 gallon placed in a different location maybe? One of those corner 1 gallons can fit just about anywhere if you feel you really would like to keep him.
Wish I could help =( But you will find the right solution, and it sounds like you take great care of them =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #6 
Reece

I agree with other posts divide the 5 gallon. I've seen videos on youtube of people that have divided a 5 gal with two bettas in, and put a few plants (real/fake) or any decorations along the wall of the divider so they can't see eachother.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #7 
tf1265

Agreed. Divide the 5 gallon. I would line the divider with plants (I actually went to the dollar store and bought some bunches of big green leaves and stuck them in, they cover most of the divider but enough is open that they still sometimes get the excitement of seeing each other). As long as they are not in constant sight of each other they will adjust, but they need to feel safe and alone. Breaking the line of sight and providing some additional hiding places is key. I have a divided 5 gallon and at first they were really stressed, and within minutes of adding all the green leaves they calmed down and the color came back. They've been great ever since!
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #8 
missm83

my boy is perfectly happy in his 2.5gallon tank(hes very active and makes bubble nests)..i taken out the filter so he can have more swimming room (i do a lot of water changes anyhow) so it all depends on you and your betta...
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote