Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2011, 02:10 AM   #1 
Loveless

Could use a little help please...

So today my dad took me out to get my first betta. We got a tank kit and everything needed. I got home and spent 6 hours on setting up the tank. I was trying to make everything perfect and going a little slower since this was my first time. Well, I got the tank set, but then I run into 2 problems. 1, oddly enough, the filter that came with the kit doesn't seem to fit so i cant seem to get it to work. 2, i cant tell if the heater is working or not.

I was hoping to move the fish into the tank tomorrow but now im a bit worried. Will it be a problem if the tank isn't filtered? And i know i can adjust the room temperature to keep the tank ok for awhile, but if i keep it above 65 for long, my roommate is going to throw a fit. Is there a way to tell if the heater is actually working or not?

Also, I can't go to the store til next weekend since I have no transportation during the week...
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:31 AM   #2 
Banicks

Welcome Loveless!

As far as the filter is concerned I'm afraid I can't help, if you could provide some information about the tank and the filter that came with it, we could proceed from there.

I strongly recommend getting an interior suction thermometer to place on the opposite corner to your heater (they're only a few dollars), this way you can accurately tell if the heater is working and maintaining correct temperature. Generally, heaters have an operation light on them to indicate when they are on or not, but some heaters do not have this. In either situation, it is strongly recommend to have a thermometer to ensure correct temperature is maintained whether it be a $10 or $200 heater, last thing you want is a boilt or frozen fishy!

Last edited by Banicks; 09-26-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:49 AM   #3 
Loveless

Thank you.

We bought the Marineland 10 gallon kit. It came with the Penguin® 100 BioWheel power filter. the filter seems to long for the tank though. I've tried adjusting it, but i cant seem to get it to fit.

I've checked for a light and I don't see one. I don't know if it's supposed to have one or not. I have it plugged in but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I have a thermometer as well, and it seems to be doing okay. It says the temperature is about 84 - 86 degrees, which is the current room temperature...
Old 09-26-2011, 02:54 AM   #4 
Banicks

http://gillgallery.com/2011/04/03/ma...uarium-review/

That's the review for one I've googled, apparently it is supposed to have one. Whether or not yours would be the same I'm not 100% sure, I recommend contacting the place of purchase for assistance and perhaps double checking whether everything has been included properly?

If the light is missing, there is a chance that someone has put the wrong filter in with it as well.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:04 AM   #5 
Loveless

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11164161

This is actually the one i have. Everything that I got seems to be the same, but I'll try and call in the morning to make sure.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #6 
Loveless

I got the filter to properly fit and work. The heater is working too.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #7 
Banicks

Excellent! Hopefully betta will love his new home :)