Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #1 
MemoryKissed

It's AMAZING what a water change can do!

So I posted a few days back that I thought my little Guss Guss was sick. It got to the point where he wouldn't swim at all unless it was time for me to feed him. He wouldn't even use his tail fin AT ALL! I was so worried but it was already to late to go to the LFS. So my husband and I did a 100% water change. AND WOW. With in the hour he was swimming around a little. By the next morning he was acting so happy to see me again. Every time I came up to the class he would swim up and just dance around. I was so happy but he still wasn't swimming with his back tail. So today we went to go get some Aqu salt and put it in. Now not only is he my happy active little fella again but he is using his tail again. YAY. I'm so happy and I can't believe such small changes could make such a BIG difference. I think his tail got hurt on one of his plants so I hope that makes a full recovery. If anyone has any incite on that please let me know. I'm just so Happy right now. My friend asked me the other day when I was so upset how I could love a fish. I just told her I couldn't explain it. I just do!!!
MemoryKissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Awesome to hear he is better....it is amazing what such a simple thing like a water change can do for our wet-pets....a water change for them is kinda like opening a window to let the smoke out for us.......the water to them is like the air to us.....take care of their environment and the rest will follow...usually.....

To be a good keeper of fish you must first be a good keeper of water...freshwater fish thrive best with fresh water........

A good rule of thumb-anytime we see a change in our Betta-make a partial water change even if we just did one and dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank....many things can happen-forgotten or not enough dechloranator used, something on our hands, in the air...etc....rule out the environment first (water) and then move on to rule out other things that may be wrong.....

Water temp and proper acclimation to both temp and chemistry are also important-especially with total water changes.....all kinds of things can happen in the water over time or changes in the source water itself...always best to be safe than sorry when it comes to our wet-pets environment-their life-line.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #3 
Myates

Glad to hear he is doing better =)
Be careful with the salt, unless you are treating him for an external illness, it's recommended not to use it on a normal basis. You will have to do another 100% water change next time, or 50% without salt for a few changes to rid of it without over dosing him. In the long run it can cause the parasites and such to become resistant to the salt and treatment won't be as effective when it is truly needed. Some believe it can do long term harm to the bettas, as some are sensitive to the salt.
If you continue with the salt, you will have to up the water changes (which isn't really good to over clean the tank) to 100% each time. Just make sure you dissolve the salt very well prior to adding it with the fish. If there is even one grain, he can find it and it will burn him.

I'm sorry, salt is fine to use short term for a preventative and to heal certain ailments, but I'm personally against using it unless it is needed.

May I ask the size of the tank, since 2 water changes in 2 weeks is a low amount, want to prevent something similar happening again.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #4 
MemoryKissed

Oh ok. I put the salt in because of his tail. Not sure what was wrong with it? We have a 2.5 gal divider. We did two water changes because I thought I was supposed to. We have a filter we run part of every day just to clean the water out. Its too strong to leave on. Im new to this so if Im doing something wrong Im always open to knowing about it. I just thought the salt was safe for him. Next time no salt. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Either leave the filter on all the time or remove it all together....any beneficial bacteria that does colonize will die without oxygen and every time you turn the filter on it will be flooding the tank with ammonia...or empty the filter and rinse the media out really good before you turn it on......if you want to do a on-off schedule...

In a 2.5gal tank without a filter-twice weekly water changes of-1-50% and 1-100% should maintain water quality-if it is divided with another Betta in the 2.5gal-make 2-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality....

Short term salt is fine-10 days max-however, treatment is best done in a small QT container and not the display tank-this is so you have more control and better for observation......along with salt treatment you also want to do 100% daily water changes for best results......

Your doing a great job.....

Love to see some pics......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 09-24-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #6 
MemoryKissed

Thanks again. I didn't know that either. About the filter that is. So with it stressing them out so bad when it is on would you just suggest to leave it off all the time or leave it on?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:30 AM   #7 
Myates

You can try baffling it. Otherwise I would stick with leaving it off if you are able to do the water changes.
OFL may have a better solution though =) Good luck and best wishes!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote