Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #1 
vocalgirl1986

Fin Rot??

Help? Does my betta have fin rot? Ive had him for a few weeks. Hes very happy and eating well but a few days after I got him i noticed that every edge of his fins was lined with black. Then it looked like it was growing fin from it then I noticed this morning that one part looked smaller and have a few tares. Please help me... I dont want him to die.
Attached Images

vocalgirl1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #2 
youlovegnats

Hmm it doesn't look like fin rot in this photo.
What size tank do you have?
Do you have a heater?
How many water changes a week do you do and how much water?
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #3 
vocalgirl1986

I don't have a heater. Its a 2.5 gallon tank. Ive had him for about 3 weeks and to be honest I have not done any water changes it. The water has stayed so clean so I left him because I hate stressing them out. This is another picture of it..
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #4 
youlovegnats

It's the same picture...
Ok, you reaaalllyyy need to get a heater. Bettas are tropical fish and need 78F+ water.

And water changes- you need to do 50% once a week in a 2.5 gal. Do a 50% change + gravel vac.
Fin rot is caused by poor water conditions and ammonia build-up.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #5 
vocalgirl1986

Well i just did a entire water change. Ill go to the store and get him a heater. Do you think its fin rot or maybe he just tore his fins on something...? Anything else I can do to help him?
Old 09-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #6 
youlovegnats

Hm. Well, it doesn't look like full-blown fin rot just yet. Just make sure that you do weekly changes and keep him warm. :)
Nothing that clean water can't fix. :D
Old 09-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

If you worry a plant could be a culprit, take out the plants, and check them all. Any rougher plants, could damage his fins. Stick to "fabric" or silk plants, and gentler plastic plants :)

Also it doesn't look like fin rot "to me"... Go get him a heater, for one. This will keep away stuff like fin rot, popeye, and all that, along with proper water changes. You can do 50% twice a week for that tank size.

If his fins keep getting worse, with all sharp or rouogh plants out, and the heater on, then you can get AQ salt, which'll help a lot! stay away from bettafix and mellafix, as it is basically poisonous to bettas.
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #8 
vocalgirl1986

I have him floating to get acclimated right now. Do you think I should just wait until I get the heater to put him back in his tank. And what would you recommend? just a little betta heater? I have another betta in my kitchen and hes in heated 5 gal. And its just a very small black heater that you put under the rocks.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #9 
vocalgirl1986

The betta fix has killed two of my bettas..im glad someone else knows how harmful it is...
Old 09-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

You can get ones that are "2.5-10 gallon heater" or something similar, which is what I have. it is generally okay for anything 2 and up, in my own experience. it's basically a mini heater :) just check the amount of power, and size it refers to.
And yes just a little heater... don't want to fry him >< Well when can you get the heater? Generally, heaters heat up slowly, and as long as you get a thermometer to check temperature there should be no problem. You want to slowly raise the temperature, if the heater you get is adjustable.
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote