Betta Fish Forum banner

Is this normal?

691 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  fightergirl2710 
#1 ·
So, my spawning attempt part 2 was going smoothly.. Huge bubblenest, ready girl, I take out the jar, she's already going up to him, they wrap for 5 minutes, no eggs and then the female just wanders off and never comes back? And NOW the pair are in chasing and hiding mode.. Is this normal? Will they try wrapping again? Why are they playing games with my mind?? Lol!

The female still has bars, she even dropped 3-4 eggs and ate them.. He's ready, she's willing but there's nothing happening. I've had them in the tank for 2 days, I let her out of the jar in the evening today.. She's still in there and I haven't removed her because there is no serious fighting.. I'm hoping there's still a chance they'll mate. Help please?

The tank:

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like normal behavior....they love to drive us nuts....lol.....as long as they are not trying to kill each other-leave them alone....they will play tag-sometimes she will approach the nest in the head down position-ready and willing and he will attack and drive her off....he will go get her-slap her in the face with his tail and she will follow head down and one or the other will attack or leave...over and over and over and we go enough already.....lol......and then....she will follow him to the nest in the head down position and he will roll her over and spawning begins......they love to keep us on our toes.......more time and patience......if you have any mosquito larva-offer the two of them some-feed in the same area so they have to feed together and if they haven't spawned by the time it is regular lights out....turn off the light and leave them together....provided that everything is okay....and you may have spawn at first light or soon after and sometimes it can take a few days-best to leave them together and try not to disturb them except for adding some food.......good luck and keep us posted......

#3 ·
Thanks Ofl, I hope that practice spawn of theirs wan't in vain. :) I fed them some bloodworms together, it calmed them down for a bit.. I'll check on them in the morning and let you know what happens..

#4 ·
LOL, your funny.... (I've read both of your threads).

Your pair just wants to catch you off guard .... maybe they're too shy or maybe they want to make you .... don't know the English word for it... very curious (?) that you'll do more breeding. lol.

I agree with OFL. Your pair sounds perfect. Just let them be and let nature take its course.

#5 ·
Thanks Indjo, I think the word you want is crazy! They're making me crazy! :frustrated: LOL! What is the max number of days I can leave them in there? Because its been 2 (that she's been out of the jar).. My male must be really inexperienced for my female to just walk away in the middle of all that embracing! :rofl:

#6 ·
Now they're really yanking my chain. Both of them are sitting in the same corner, out in the open (not hiding) and staring blankly into space. No chasing, no showing off. Nothing. They've been like this for more than an hour now. X(

#7 ·
I have had a couple that I had to leave for over a week together before they spawned....I would make a large water change 50% and fill the tank nearly to the top with 10 degree cooler water-have the heater set on 80F so it will warm the water back up within a few hours and see if that won't stimulate spawning....if you have access to mosquito larva....I swear that stuff is magic when it comes to spawning.....

#8 ·
No mosquito larva, only bloodworms. :(
I'll try the water change now, if it doesn't work by morning I guess I'll isolate them for 3 days and try. I was told that works as well sometimes.
Is it possible that they can lose interest? The male tries to show off sometimes but the female doesn't react.. Just sits there. :(

#10 ·
Yeah, I guess.. Hopefully one day I'll say I learned patience from breeding bettas lol! Because I'm really very impatient. ;-)
I did the water change like you said. The male seems to have perked up with that. I've also put paper around the tank so they have "privacy". Thanks OFL, I'll let you know what happens. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.