Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #1 
HatsuneMiku

has anyone had a tank burst/explode before?

so .. i got a new AquaH20 brand tank (size 45cm l x29cm w x29cm h glass is 5mm thick .. the curved corner looks like 4-5mm thick i can't tell) .. that i've never heard of this brand before .. but the tank looks really pretty .. clean edges no frames .. and it has curved glass for 2 of the corners .. and now that i have it at home .. and tested it for leakage (it doesn't leak) .. i started looking for a stand that will fit this tank ..

the more i researched the more i found that people have had this brand of tank crack and burst on them .. so i'm wondering if anyone knows of this ? or have had experience with this ?

should i go return this tank ? the LFS doesn't take returns .. only exchanges .. what should i do i'm so paranoid that it's gonna burst on me D=
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #2 
Banicks

Hmm hard call Mistress.

Generally with any known defect on a product, if it is a known issue a recall is placed. Unless that recall costs more than a payout for damages.

Then there is the whole 'internet trusted review', which is sometimes a load of crap. People will bad mouth a product for no reason. Or it could be perhaps a widespread issue that is true.

Then there is the x factor, something people are doing to their tank that then causes it to break or give out. Such as overheating, or perhaps using it as a saltwater tank, and the salt is breaking down the glassbond or perhaps overfilling and causing a structural weakness in the glass.

Ultimately, we just don't know. I would trust your instinct, if you think the reviews indicate a fatal flaw return it for a store credit and get one you think you know will be better.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #3 
bahamut285

The thickness of the glass/acrylic depends on the amount of water pressure being exerted on them. Obviously more pressure = thicker material. I believe there is probably an online guide somewhere, but alas I am a bit busy to go hunting for it, maybe tomorrow I'll see if I can find it for you.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #4 
HatsuneMiku

I've done more research now .. and the company Aquah20 apparently shut it's doors because there were too many complaints or something (read from another forum) ..

and most of the people that had tanks burst on them had like 500cm500cm900cm tanks ... and had huge saltwater reefs and stuff .. and they said that doing water changes or moving their tanks caused the curved glass to crack or burst after 1-2days after adding new water .. as i know nothing about salt water tanks .. and coral reef tanks ..

also some forum post said that those type of tanks have more pressure pushing out on the glass because they simulate ocean depth and need more water currents in the tank so it's a lot more pressure put on the glass then in freshwater tanks ? anyone know if this is true ?

i haven't found anything about the smaller sized tanks and how they fair .. yet .. so far i've found all lot of conflicting information too x_x ahhh i'm so confuzzled @_@
Old 09-26-2011, 12:34 AM   #5 
bahamut285

It depends on the HEIGHT of the tanks. having a 900cm high tank while the other two dimension are only 500, that is almost asking for trouble. I'd go into the physics of it but yes, a tank with that shape and water pressure will probably burst if the acrylic/glass was not thick enough.

For example, when you go to a large public aquarium, since it holds so much water, the acrylic is nearly 2'0" THICK.

More water pressure requires thicker acrylic/glass.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:06 AM   #6 
HatsuneMiku

my glass thickness is only 5mm .. do you think that's going to hold 10g + all the decorations and gravel and plants ? without cracking ?
Old 09-26-2011, 05:58 AM   #7 
fightergirl2710

Just remember you need to support all the edges, of the tank on the stand/ table, the middle shouldn't sag. Water pressure exerted causes tanks to crack, the decor etc doesn't. (Unless you accidently thunk a rock you were putting it on the bottom, RIP old 10 gallon)
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #8 
bahamut285

5mm should be fine. I did some water pressure calculations and the MINIMUM thickness for a tank that size is 3mm so you are fairly safe. Just make sure it is on a flat, sturdy surface and it is free of cracks. Cracks will put a HUGE dent in the structural stability of the tank.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #9 
Thunderloon

... and don't add hot water to a cold tank or cold water to a hot tank. Both will kill tensioned glass. On first fill, add water the same temp as the glass.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #10 
Kytkattin

And don't EVER move it with even a spitful of water of water in the tank. It is probably the bow shape that makes it so fragile, and then no frame to give it any support... Just be careful with it.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote