Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #1 
ShawnBliss

Amateur Here

I'm new to fish and I didn't know anything about cycling a tank. Will I be able to keep my betta healthy during the cycling process? I was thinking maybe 1-2 10% water changes daily and a 50% water change every other day. Would this be sufficient?
ShawnBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #2 
BettaMiah

How big is your tank? Anything under 3 gallons is pretty much impossible to cycle because you will be doing tons of water changes.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum......

What size tank, type of filter, any live plants, water temp, pH, stocking level, type of substrate and do you have a test kit.........if you have live plants-type of lights and photoperiod......can you post a pic......

The nitrogen cycle isn't as complicated as it sounds once you understand the bacteria to meet its needs.......it needs- surface area, oxygen and food to thrive and colonize.....as BettaMiah posted....in small filtered tanks under 5gals..... its not that a filtered smaller tank can't cycle...its more due to limited surface area that limits the stability of the nitrogen cycle and nitrifying bacteria colony....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #4 
ShawnBliss

• Size: 2.5 gallons
  • Filter: Tetra i-3 Whisper
  • Live Plants: None (Yet)
  • Water Temp: 78-80 degrees fahrenheit
  • Stock: One betta
  • Substrate: Gravel
  • Lighting: LED

I only had 1 test strip yesterday, I'll have to buy a test kit soon. The strip yesterday said the pH was 7.5. Also, I have no problem doing as many water changes as necessary I just don't want to change it too much and hurt the fish or reset the cycling process.
ShawnBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #5 
Micho

You will not be able to cycle your tank.

To be honest you can cycle your tank if it's 5 gallons and higher, even at 5 gallons the cycle is unstable, the bigger the tank the more stable the cycle is. . .

If you plan to add live plants in, try to get a hardy low-light plants. Since you're using a LED light. . You can read a plant guide here and choose what to add to your tank, maybe a marimo moss ball or some moss: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote